Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok peoples...

99 LGT

I've got an exhaust leak on the weld on the engine side of the last cat before the muffler, and I think I hear another one popping through near the headers.

I've confirmed the one near the exhaust, but not the new one.

So, my question to you is, where can i get a new (possibly header-back, possibly cat-back) exhaust? I'd be interested in "performance" if the price is right, but my main concern is being able to keep the stock muffler because I love the tip.

before you go and spend a lot of money, I have made permanent repairs using JB Weld on exhaust system holes that has lasted for years. The trick is to have a very clean surface before applying JB Weld.

my other thought is to take your car to a custom muffler shop, where they can cut out, and weld in new mufflers and pipes, while retaining your standard muffler exhaust tip.

before you go and spend a lot of money, I have made permanent repairs using JB Weld on exhaust system holes that has lasted for years. The trick is to have a very clean surface before applying JB Weld.

my other thought is to take your car to a custom muffler shop, where they can cut out, and weld in new mufflers and pipes, while retaining your standard muffler exhaust tip.

2 problems with JB and this application are that the pipes are rusted and the hole is on the top of the pipe, so grinding it clean would be super difficult.

but yeah, i had thought about that.

2 problems with JB and this application are that the pipes are rusted and the hole is on the top of the pipe, so grinding it clean would be super difficult.

but yeah, i had thought about that.

No need to grind it clean. If you can get your fingers to the leak, simply hand rub sand paper, or rub with your fingers, to clean off the rust and dirt. Use rubbing alcohol, or another suitable solvent to wipe off any rust dust. Once cleaned, JB Weld should hold just fine. I have done this several times before. It works great! Just let it harden up over night before starting the motor.

No need to grind it clean. If you can get your fingers to the leak, simply hand rub sand paper, or rub with your fingers, to clean off the rust and dirt. Use rubbing alcohol, or another suitable solvent to wipe off any rust dust. Once cleaned, JB Weld should hold just fine. I have done this several times before. It works great! Just let it harden up over night before starting the motor.

yeah. i may try that. i'm not huge into spending my rebate check on an exhaust. i'll have to cut off that heat shield to get my sausage fingers up there though.

really? JB weld can withstand that kind of heat?.....thanks for that tip rooster it may come in handy in the future......:)

Yes, JB weld holds up very well to exhaust heat. JB lasted at least 4 years. The exhaust pipe finally rusted through in other areas, so had to replace. This was on an after market exhaust pipe from a cheapie muffler shop for an old VW. It even surprised me how long the JB held up.