Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like help in identifying which years and models of New Gen Subarus have alternators that match the connector plug shown below.

This alternator came off of a 92 SVX, but I am pretty sure that the alternator style is far more generic, particularly in the 93-up Legs, Imps and Foresters. (This alternator is listed as being specific to the 92-96 SVXs, and is proving difficult to find replacements for it.)

So if you could list your year and model, and whether or not it uses the same connector I would be most appreciative. :clap:

SVX_alt1.jpg

SVX_alt2.jpg

[...]So if you could list your year and model, and whether or not it uses the same connector I would be most appreciative. :clap:
The '99 Legacy/Outback appears to use the same 2-pin connector, although the output stud is in a slightly different position.

However, the mounting appears to be quite different (as can best be determined from your pics), and I suspect that would be a more important issue in getting alternators from other models to fit. Even the relative position of the pulley might become a belt alignment problem. Unless you're willing to do machine work, it could be worthwhile posting some shots of your alt from other angles, so that the mounting arrangement is obvious.

You might do well to take the alternator into an auto parts store, and ask them to help you replace it. I would suggest going there when they are not busy, so the counter guy can spend some time with you. That way, several Subie alternators from different models can be layed out on the counter, and visually inspected to see if physically they will interchange with yours.

The amp output may be less, if you use an alternator not specifically designed for your car, so you will need to know the amp output of old vs new alternators to see if they are compatible enough to do the job for you.

The mounting is essentially the same as on my 92 Leg, with double-eared through-bolt at 2oclock and single eared bolt at 8oclock, output bolt sticking nearly straight up. The only significant difference between this alternator and the one on my Leg is that connector/rectifier design.

Regarding amp output, if you buy a rebuilt it is a crap shoot anyway. Rebuilders tend to mix and match parts from a particular alternator "line", and most of this era's alternators are 95-100amp. Though a 140-160 amp would be nicer on a power-everything car like the SVX. :burnout:

My intention is to go to the parts store and look at what they have. But it would be nice to be able to narrow my search to a certain range instead of asking them to look up and bring me everything they might have in stock. And speaking of stock, although I live in near-Nirvana for Subarus, parts can still be a problem: Nearest rebuilt alt for the SVX is 10 days away...

Thanks again.

The mounting is essentially the same as on my 92 Leg, with double-eared through-bolt at 2oclock and single eared bolt at 8oclock, output bolt sticking nearly straight up.[...]
I'd describe the '99 alt that way, so it might be a candidate.

Regarding amp output, if you buy a rebuilt it is a crap shoot anyway. Rebuilders tend to mix and match parts from a particular alternator "line", and most of this era's alternators are 95-100amp.
That will probably be sufficient, as long as you don't primarily drive at night with all the accessories on, and/or run an underdrive crank pulley.

Though a 140-160 amp would be nicer on a power-everything car like the SVX.[...]
Which may be why the SVX alt is listed separately.

That will probably be sufficient, as long as you don't primarily drive at night with all the accessories on, and/or run an underdrive crank pulley.

Which may be why the SVX alt is listed separately.

SVX is a 95-110 amp part.

Thanks, OB99W. A smidgen OT :) , but definitely worthwhile info for me. I will consider that 160amp. I know they are available for Nissan versions of the alt, but the Nissan versions have their backframes "clocked" inconveniently.

So,...

99 Outback - definite prospect

Anyone else willing to take a look?

Ed, it looks like the Legacy/Impreza alternators, somewhere after 93 and probably after 95-96, are interchangeable with the SVX. They are a Mitsubishi-design rather than an Hitachi, and different from any of the old-gen alts.

I found a thread on the SVX site that talks about an inexpensive supplier of rectifiers and regulators for this alternator (around $50 for the pair), so if I can find a distributor that will work with me I may go that route.

The BIG problem is that the alt on my wife's SVX died, so I swapped in the alt from my project SVX... and it blew out about 3 weeks later. I had acquired a 3rd SVX in the meantime (for $250 I couldn't pass it up ;) ), so I swapped in THAT alt and it died within a day. No dummy me, I thought, "Hmmmm...", and then checked the battery, which after 3 days of trickle charging showed 6.54V. (In my lame defense, the car always started with the first turn of the key except after driving 30 minutes at night with my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.)

I have since replaced the battery, but am left with 3 dead, and uncommon, alternators. Finding a more common replacement would make my life easier x3.

Ed, it looks like the Legacy/Impreza alternators, somewhere after 93 and probably after 95-96, are interchangeable with the SVX. They are a Mitsubishi-design rather than an Hitachi, and different from any of the old-gen alts.

I found a thread on the SVX site that talks about an inexpensive supplier of rectifiers and regulators for this alternator (around $50 for the pair), so if I can find a distributor that will work with me I may go that route.

The BIG problem is that the alt on my wife's SVX died, so I swapped in the alt from my project SVX... and it blew out about 3 weeks later. I had acquired a 3rd SVX in the meantime (for $250 I couldn't pass it up ;) ), so I swapped in THAT alt and it died within a day. No dummy me, I thought, "Hmmmm...", and then checked the battery, which after 3 days of trickle charging showed 6.54V. (In my lame defense, the car always started with the first turn of the key except after driving 30 minutes at night with my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.)

I have since replaced the battery, but am left with 3 dead, and uncommon, alternators. Finding a more common replacement would make my life easier x3.

Well, I have any number you could borrow until you repair/replace with what you need. We should be home tomorrow for one day and then are off to Vancouver Island for a long weekend. Feel free to call me, i think you have my cell number. By the way, I can suggest a repair shop in south Seattle if you need one.

Sadly, when recently confronted by a similar situation, I "sucked it up" and bought a rebuilt alternator.

No used parts locally, no parts to fix (both situations requiring a week wait).

Sure, I could hang something else in there, but I don't like doing that kind of thing on my primary driver.

Bosch shows a part # (AL4328X) and availability.

Sadly, when recently confronted by a similar situation, I "sucked it up" and bought a rebuilt alternator.

No used parts locally, no parts to fix (both situations requiring a week wait).

Sure, I could hang something else in there, but I don't like doing that kind of thing on my primary driver.

Bosch shows a part # (AL4328X) and availability.

My first burn-out was that same-numbered Bosch, and apparently there aren't any of them on this coast of the US. (Originally, I was kind of hoping to find someone that had the receipt for an AL4328X that I could "borrow" for a warranty replacement, but now that I know it was my problem that it failed and not a bad rebuild that idea is dustbinned.)

I used to go to Auto Marine Electric in Ballard to have my alternators repaired. Sadly, he's moved to California to surf his retirement away. But his old 'phone number kicked over to a company in South Seattle that sounded competent when I talked to one of their people over the phone. I'll try to get you the info on that one; I would suspect they'd be glad to sell you the pieces you need. I'm in Ladysmith, BC tonight and will be at a music festival for the rest of the weekend. When I return on Monday I'll try to find that info for you.