Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Arrrrrggggg!!!! Pulled the dash to find this! 84 Sedan

So, I am begining an interior replacement and SPFI conversion on my 84 EA81 4wd Sedan.

This car has all the options of a GL-10 model, but is only a GL. Power window, Power Doorlocks, Cruise Control,Sunroof, lot's of chrome....... and apparently, a digital dash. Yeah, that's right.......had a digital dash. Something I was not aware of. Sadly this means the car may have more than the indicated 78k miles as well :(

I didn't know that the dash had ever been removed or messed with. I started pulling it yesterday to get to the ECS light and the Speed sensor. When I got it off, I found this.

DSCF005402.jpg

DSCF005302.jpg

DSCF005202.jpg

So, even though it seemed that the analog dash was working, I now want to get a new dash(or at least harness) and check/redo the work. Espescially the cluster to the right of the main part that has the *car* and displays the open doors and whatnot. The back of that circuit board has been hacked and soldered onto. works, but just not my style.

Additionally, the speedometer doesn't seem to have any wiring for a reed switch/ speed sensor. So I think this dash came from an older car, as I was under the impression that all the later EA81s had the sensor on the speedometer for use with the *feedback* carbs.

So.... anyone got the analog dash and digital dash wiring diagrahms for 84 sedans???

Ok...

Ill admit that this all looks like a mess (or IS a mess) :eek:

BUT - it seems to me that this is a "rosetta stone" of sorts for all the folks looking to convert their DEAD digi-dash to analog!

The FSM is REALLY vague on where all the wires are s'posed to go, BTW.

However.... if everything works the way its supposed to, I know of a few people at LEAST that would be VERY interested in a diagram of what has been done here. :slobber:

Ok...

Ill admit that this all looks like a mess (or IS a mess) :eek:

BUT - it seems to me that this is a "rosetta stone" of sorts for all the folks looking to convert their DEAD digi-dash to analog!

The FSM is REALLY vague on where all the wires are s'posed to go, BTW.

However.... if everything works the way its supposed to, I know of a few people at LEAST that would be VERY interested in a diagram of what has been done here. :slobber:

Very good point. It would be awesome to have a write-up based on this wiring layout. Even if it's not the 'rosetta stone' that we need, it could provide an excellent base of information for this swap so that others may try it and improve the add more detailed information.

I think you're pretty keen for picking up on this immediately, that didn't even cross my mind until I read your thoughts on it.

Well, I am already going to be pulling pins from the connectors to tap in an ECS light and speedo wire. So I am considering pulling ALL the pins from the connectors, 1 at a time, and trying to untangle the whole mess a bit so it's easier to see what's going on.

Connie (Bucky92), could you take some photos of the connectors for the digidash? I want to be absolutely sure that this did have a digidash, and that it wasn't hacked up[ for some other reason.

[/img]

let me know if you need more.

This connector:

EA81BlackDiamondWiresUp.jpg And this one:EA81digiconnectorsUP.jpg

Could I see a side view of the connectors to get a view of wire colors and pin location?? I want to verify that these are the same connector in both pics. And that the wiring colors for your '83(?) are the same as my '84. That connector is the only one of the originals still there.

The other 2 round connectors in my car appear to be from whatever car the dash came form.

But some pics of the round connectors and the back of the dash in you're car would be great too.

I AM going top untangle the wires and sort everything out to take pictures. I will at the same time try to verify that everything is correct. Some things, like the *fuel low* light are not hooked up. I have a feeling the cruise is not working either, needs to be tied into the tach and speedo, as well as shifter position(auto) lights.

Having pics that show wire color corresponding to pins would be a huge help, so I can figure out which colors the original wiring in the car is supposed to go to.

Well, it does have a speed sensor in the anolog dash. Bad news is that someone actually remoive the speedo unit from the dash, and cut the wires right at the very point they are soldered to the unit:rolleyes: :confused: Why???

I also took each wire out of each connector one at a time and rearranged the rats nest. Looks better now.

Sadly, I am not sure if this will be a "rosseta stone" because I can't trust the colors of wires.

I originally thought that the round connectors came from the analog dash donor car with the dash. I know believe that the round connectors are actually the ones for the DigiDash. Just cut and respliced, so it doesn't really help with color to color match up for the conversion. The colors in my car are likely completely different than a standard analog car.

If it was me, I would have simply repined the connectors, rather than cut and splice. Those round connectors are SUPER EASY to remove and relocate the pins around.

No camera at the shop yesterday. Pics tonight.

Anyone got an 84 FSM showing the digidash wiring? Or even the non digidash?

maybe it was spliced so it could also accept a good digi dash, or also analog, maybe they left old connectors attached too.

No the digidash and the analog dash both use the same round connectors, 2 of them. However the arrangemment is different so whoever did this conversion cut and spliced wires rather than repin the connectors. Sad :(

I was finally able to procure a FSM electrical manual for the 84 Turbo models. Its in the mail right now.

This will have all the pin outs and what not for the digidash.

My ultimate idea is to make a conversion harness thats just plug and play.

I have a good digidash :grin:

I had a GL-10 with a digidash, had to buy like 5 of the damn things before I got a working one... Then the idiot that bought my car from my friend took the digidash out and threw it away cuz he didn't like it :mad: (Keep in mind this was a 100% perfectly good working digidash!) And the f%*#er never gave me back my wheels either!

This was the lifted one that popped up on ebay a few years ago, not sure what ever happened to it.

Also, water temp sender and fuel sender for the digital dash are different than for the analog dash.

I was finally able to procure a FSM electrical manual for the 84 Turbo models. Its in the mail right now.

This will have all the pin outs and what not for the digidash.

My ultimate idea is to make a conversion harness thats just plug and play.

Hope that wasnt the 84 wiring FSM that I got from ebay :) got lucky to land the engine/body FSM and the Wiring for under 40$ Finally decent manuals to use on the brat.

Hope that wasnt the 84 wiring FSM that I got from ebay :) got lucky to land the engine/body FSM and the Wiring for under 40$ Finally decent manuals to use on the brat.

No, there were 2 from the same guy. The one I got was for turbo models. They were more likely to have the digidash.

I did bid on the one you got, but after you bid I looked at the other one and used the "Buy it now" feature. I got it for the same price you got the other one for.