Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 OBW 182k

My recirculate button sticks. I never use it but every few weeks the wife borrows my car and she does use it. After she's pressed it, I depress it, but it takes usually 2-3 days before it will pop back out.

I want to shoot some kind of lube in there to free it up, but I don't know what's back there. Is it an electrical switch or a mechanical one that activates a vacuum motor?

I thought of maybe dry graphite powder, anyone have a similar experience they were able to work out?

Thanks!

Will-

sounds like the usual spilled beverage issue...

isopropyl alcohol will help free things up... warm water also works but doesn't evaporate as well...

I'm still trying to get my vents and cup holder to work smoothly on my forester...

--Spiffy

Am I the only one here that goes straight to "take the thing loose from teh dash and clean it properly"? < G >

If you search under "Climate control backlight" you will find several threads with instructions on how to take that part of your car apart, and put it back together again. While it is apart, you will find it much easier to clean it real well and have it working for a good long time. If you "just squirt some stuff in there", the gunk that is gumming the works up will still be there, and will cause you problems again.

Just my $.02. . .

Am I the only one here that goes straight to "take the thing loose from teh dash and clean it properly"?

Right you are, and my backlights are out so I plan on doing this, but I'm currently working 12 hour days with a 3 hour there-and-back commute and will have this schedule for the rest of the year at least, and what free time I've got for auto repairs will will go to a clutch job that takes priority so if I can squirt some stuff in there and loosen things up for awhile I'm happy to take that route.

take the thing loose from teh dash and clean it properly

that would be ideal, if it weren't so sticky that you can't get it out... that's the issue I have... I have to squirt stuff in there to get it loose enough to remove so that it can be properly cleaned...

--Spiffy