Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusting from the inside out.

So my GL is swiss cheesing on me.

Last time I went out to play on some rocks the twisting blew out holes in the rocker panels below the doors.

(guess even though it'll go on some rocks now I still shouldn't play on them, and I just found a really vehicle mangling trail up on Lolo that is fun to play on)

When I painted it last year everything seemed fine.

Now I'm finding not much is left down there in spots except paint.

Is there a way to treat that from the inside?

I got holes I can spray stuff through! hehe

I know of some products that convert/seal rust and such.

But what's the final word on them?

Just would like to slow/stop it from the inside.

While I weld on some sheemetal on the outside.

Not looking for pretty, just looking to hold it together on the trails for another year or so.

Maybe it's time to build a buggy.

If I could afford the steel. :rolleyes:

I'm having the same issue, but maybe not as bad...

I made the mistake of looking under my car and found some empty space that shouldn't be there... rust cracks in the floor pan on one side, and a rocker that's been bashed and is rusting...

can you weld upside down with those cheap Harbor Freight welders? maybe I need to get one and start teaching myself to weld, without catching the carpet on fire... (:

--Spiffy

I'm having the same issue, but maybe not as bad...

I made the mistake of looking under my car and found some empty space that shouldn't be there... rust cracks in the floor pan on one side, and a rocker that's been bashed and is rusting...

can you weld upside down with those cheap Harbor Freight welders? maybe I need to get one and start teaching myself to weld, without catching the carpet on fire... (:

--Spiffy

Don't see why you couldn't weld any direction you wanted to.

Other than the sparks are gonna head down.

I got the same welder and I'll prloy just be treating it good and welding a "cap" along the length of it on the outside.

Ghetto I know. But I don't have the kind of time or budget at the moment to go all cut crazy replacing sections and POR-15 it.

Only really has to hold together till the next chassis comes along.

Things get more sedate around here I'll proly just buggy it, tractor tires the whole nine yards and just trailer it to the trails. :headbang:

If you can find some way to spray it in there used motor oil would slow the rust. If you run it through a paint strainer a pump up garden sprayer would probably work. I have used CRC myself, dump half can inside every crack and hole twice a year. That has worked for me the past 11 years on my 87 Brat.

If you can find some way to spray it in there used motor oil would slow the rust. If you run it through a paint strainer a pump up garden sprayer would probably work. I have used CRC myself, dump half can inside every crack and hole twice a year. That has worked for me the past 11 years on my 87 Brat.

I can see where that would slow down the rusting..

I'm gonna take a multiple fix approach to this. :)

Find what ends up best for my situation.