Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Swap IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

crockettbrat

Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana::headbang:

I cut the power wire to the coil by mistake! Hooked it up to switched power and she fired right up!!!!!!!!!! I'm so psyched!!!! It sounded great even though there is no exhaust other than the y pipe and I only let it run for a second!

Thanks usmb and numbchux for the write up. I cant believe it worked. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:clap:

Hey Thanks you guys!

Now I'll spend the $ on the drive shaft and start figuring out the exhaust and stuff the rat nest of wires out of sight. I'm so glad this thing started. I was really sure I screwed up the harness and was going to have to get another one. A couple hours with the service manual and it all started to make sense though.

I cant wait to go for a drive, plus the new 5speed d/r!

Daniel

I was really sure I screwed up the harness and was going to have to get another one. A couple hours with the service manual and it all started to make sense though.

it really isn't too bad. pretty confusing at first, but totally doable.

I'm glad to hear it runs!

I know I've said it somewhere before, but your brat was one of my initial inspirations for mine! Also your fuel pump page on your website was very helpful, so thanks alot!

Cheers mate. I really need to work on all those EJ pages a bit more. In the next couple of weeks its getting a big work over.

Thanks everbody! Yeah I'm looking forward to the 5sp.

What have you guys done for the throttle cable? I haven't even looked at that part yet. Any tips?

Daniel

stock BRAT cable should work fine.

Congrats.

I just got 6000 miles on my swap and only regret not doing it sooner.

BW

Thanks you guys. I lost the retainer clips for the clutch and throttle cables so I'll go to the pick n pull in the next couple of days. I need to find a couple fans for the radiator too.

I got my driveshaft back today from the driveline shop. I didn't have enough time to install it today because I focused on cleaning up my wiring and removing all splice connectors I used when getting it started. I bought one of those butane torches with a soldering tip. I liked it way better than my old cheapy soldering iron.

Here are some before and after pics of the engine bay:

P1010212.JPG

P1010213.JPG

I took my gauges out today to figure out the CEL and the VSS. There is no wire going to the CEL, so I'll have to run a wire to the multi plug there. Is the VSS the black plug coming out of the back of the gauges above the speedo with a yellow red wire and a black wire? Thanks for any info.

Daniel

Don't forget to do all the weird little stuff.

Like:

-Change all your fuel hose to high pressure fuel lines.

-Add a pitch stop

-Add an overflow tank for the radiator

-Figure out a surge tank (or find a turbo gas tank)

-And anything else you discover.

Don't forget to do all the weird little stuff.

Like:

-Change all your fuel hose to high pressure fuel lines.

-Add a pitch stop

-Add an overflow tank for the radiator

-Figure out a surge tank (or find a turbo gas tank)

-And anything else you discover.

I did the fuel line already. I haven't had a pitch stop since I did my lift last year. I have my original and the one that came with the 5sp, so I'll whip something up for that.

My brat never had an overflow tank. I've got the legacy tank and it looks like it might fit up by the new battery location, but I'm not too worried about that one.

Is the surge tank necessary? I guess I'll be finding out soon enough.

I found a nice fan off a small mazda at the pick n pull yesterday. It fits really well in front of the radiator. I hooked it up to the ea fan wiring with the thermo switch in the radiator, so hopefully this will be good enough. The legacy motor ran nice and cool before the swap and the ea radiator is brand new 6 mos ago.

I think all I have left to be drivable is to finish up the interior wiring (ie- VSS and CEL), run my "real" wiring for the fuel pump instead of my "lets see if it works wiring", and then get the exhaust work done.

I still haven't decided how I'm going to handle the coolant temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge, but I'll get that stuff hammered out in the next couple of weeks.

Then I'll tackle getting this thing passed by the "smog ref". I'm not too sure how this will go, but I am not due for another smog test until next may so I've got some time on this one.

Thanks everyone.

Daniel

I haven't had a pitch stopper since my swap......overkill IMHO.

My motor rocks back and forth under hard acceleration and deceleration. I find it really annoying and not to mention you're losing some of the power to the wheels. After I get mine installed I'll tell you if I notice a difference. I did notice a difference when I went to solid motor and transmission mounts on my Porsche 951 turbo so I'm thinking the same theory is true with the pitch stop (which is that energy is absorbed by any amount of flex in the drive train).

I'm sure you can get away without using one, but I think you'd be better off putting one on.

Hey All:

I think I just got really lucky, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out my coolant temp and oil pressure gauges and I noticed a bung on the side of my new radiator and it happens to be exactly the same size as my ea coolant temp sender from the ea manifold. Is there any reason this sender wouldn't work in the radiator? Thanks.

Daniel

it could work. but it'll read cooler in the radiator than it should in the motor. and if you loose circulation through the radiator, or loose coolant, it'll be thrown off as well.

you really should have it hooked up on the block.

Has anyone found a way to hook it up to the block? I've seen it in a bung by the upper radiator hose but thats all I've seen.

I also got my CEL hooked up today. I ran a wire straight from the pin on the back of the gauges that powers the ECS light (which even had a bulb in it already) to the wire off the ej ECU. I put the key in the ignition and the light came on so I think I'm good.

I have a question about the VSS. I found the plug on the back of the speedo which I believe is for my VSS. One wire is yellow red and the other is black. I was intending to hook the yellow red up to the ECU and ground the black. Does this sound right?

Also with my 5sp d/r there are three plugs. One of these is a neutral switch. I was going to try wiring this to the ECU also. Has anyone else

tried this?

Thanks,

Daniel