Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how much LSD additive for a cluch LSD

ok so i got from subaru that you can use pretty much any kind of lsd additive and it should work.

But how much are you supposed to use?

i know you are supposed add some more if the plates chatter, but what's a good starting point.

I would assume its just like any other diff.

Fill it to the bottom of the filler hole.

no i'm talking about the additive not the gear oil with additive added. you get little bottles of friction modifier (lsd fluid) and add in with normal oil.

The additive i bought said to use a full tube and top off with gear oil. So I did.

same here, only it was for big american trucks, or at least that's what they listed on the bottle... I figured my diff was a lot smaller and used half the bottle...

I suppose the best way to find out is to call subaru and find out how many ounces are in their bottle of friction modifier...

--Spiffy

well after i got off the phone with lithia they said they don't have the additive any more and the only way was to get that kind of fluid was to get the 5 gallon special subaru LSD gear oil. um yeah no thanks.

called a couple more subaru places and found one that said they get thier stuff from GM and the bottle is 4oz.

so now we know and knowings half the battle.

GI JOE!!!!

:grin:

FWIW, I filled my 200k mile RX diff with AMSOIL 75W-90 gear oil only and have had no issues or chatter and perfect operation with over 40k miles and plenty of off-roading, launches, and other abuse.

i have heard good things about amsoil, it seems the people that use it really like it but i have never had a chance to use it yet.

i like redline, and really because it got rid of so many grinds in multiple trannys.

until redline lets me down for what ever reason, i can't see me going through different brands just to see, not unless it is way cheaper.

• 1 month later...
Which grades are you using to resurect worn trannys?

the red line 75/90 NS. make sure you get the NS because it doesn't have any friction modifiers added to it. If you read about it on their website it makes kind of makes sense about the lack of friction modifiers helping the synchros come to speed faster.

i figured there was one way of calling their BS was to try it. and i must say in every tranny i have used it in, shifting was much better and took away a second gear grind on multiple trannys.

FWIW, I filled my 200k mile RX diff with AMSOIL 75W-90 gear oil only and have had no issues or chatter and perfect operation with over 40k miles and plenty of off-roading, launches, and other abuse.
is it possible your clutches are warn and that's why the fluid didn't make much difference? i've heard they do wear and have always wondered how much, how to check and how to rebuild. i have heard of people rebuilding them...or adding shims or whatever to bring the grip back up to spec's.

is it possible your clutches are warn and that's why the fluid didn't make much difference? i've heard they do wear and have always wondered how much, how to check and how to rebuild. i have heard of people rebuilding them...or adding shims or whatever to bring the grip back up to spec's.

All I know for sure is that it still works.