Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust Proofing

I want to rust proof Uggo (my wagon). I was planning on using POR15 and go right over my paint, after scuffing of course. But Bucky92 mentioned, on another thread, something called Rust Bullet which is similar to POR15. That got me to wondering how many other products there are out there that do the same thing. So here's what I am looking for: either sprayable or self leveling, can be applied over paint, preferably not black (hot), very tough and very sticky, impervious to rust, low prep and maintainence time, cost is of little concern. Does anyone know a product that matches this description?

Like any paint ..etc..you are going to have to sand down your current paint...just enought to scuff it up so whatever you use can stick to it..it also helps to remove any wax that might be on the car. There isnt a product out there ( that I know of ) that does not require prep work

I want to rust proof Uggo (my wagon). I was planning on using POR15 and go right over my paint, after scuffing of course. But Bucky92 mentioned, on another thread, something called Rust Bullet which is similar to POR15. That got me to wondering how many other products there are out there that do the same thing. So here's what I am looking for: either sprayable or self leveling, can be applied over paint, preferably not black (hot), very tough and very sticky, impervious to rust, low prep and maintainence time, cost is of little concern. Does anyone know a product that matches this description?
The worst thing you can do is mess with the factory paint by scuffing it and "treating" it with whatever. The best you can do is keep it clean and waxed.

As for the underside, sure treat it with phosphorous acids like POR15 or Ospho (Ace Hardware) to neutralize any rust. This will leave a black primer type surface. Knock off any loose scale with a wire brush first. You will then need to spray it with a top coat of paint after 24 hours or the rust will return. I would even consider pulling off the door panels and treating the inside of the doors too. Just make sure you unstop all the drain holes once you're finished. Same goes for any drain holes in the door sills and fenders.

I have used this product for years. It works for hidden and hard to get at areas. Not super tough against abrasion. great for inside rocker panels & doors & where layers of metal meet and form all those places water can sit.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/hammerite+waxoyl+clear+starter+kit+25+litre/pid/1346828

I have not tried this: (how to make your own - but it sounds ok)

http://www.realbig.com/miata/1995-02/772.html

Check out Zero-Rust at autobodystore.com. Do a search for Zero Rust and read all the forum talk . I have never used it but sounds like what you may be looking for. I use POR 15 and WAXOYL like product. I thin it with mineral spirits and apply with 3M BodyShutz gun .