Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy L wagon

i'm looking for a new timing belt tensioner (or adjuster in oem vernacular) and the pulley (tensioner in oem).

i just called a few places and nobody really knew what they were talking about. i called the dealership but the parts counter girl is on vacation and her fill-in is about incompetent...

oem part # 13033AA042 looks to be the right part for my tensioner adjuster (the piston part that has to be compressed)

oem part # 13069AA037 looks to be the right part for my tensioner pulley assembly with the eccentric hub

the thing is, i looked to order them from 1stsubaruparts.com or subaruparts.com and they're listed as parts for ej25's - are they just the same part between both engines? i'm having trouble understanding their crappy parts listings/diagrams. also, i called autozone and kragen's and their thoroughly incompetent employees seem to be insisting they don't sell the tensioner adjuster, only the tensioner pulley assembly. that doesn't seem likely to me.

can someone verify these part numbers are correct for my car and maybe provide part numbers to get them cheaper at a parts house store?

97 Legacy L wagon

i'm looking for a new timing belt tensioner (or adjuster in oem vernacular) and the pulley (tensioner in oem).

i just called a few places and nobody really knew what they were talking about. i called the dealership but the parts counter girl is on vacation and her fill-in is about incompetent...

oem part # 13033AA042 looks to be the right part for my tensioner adjuster (the piston part that has to be compressed)

oem part # 13069AA037 looks to be the right part for my tensioner pulley assembly with the eccentric hub

the thing is, i looked to order them from 1stsubaruparts.com or subaruparts.com and they're listed as parts for ej25's - are they just the same part between both engines? i'm having trouble understanding their crappy parts listings/diagrams. also, i called autozone and kragen's and their thoroughly incompetent employees seem to be insisting they don't sell the tensioner adjuster, only the tensioner pulley assembly. that doesn't seem likely to me.

can someone verify these part numbers are correct for my car and maybe provide part numbers to get them cheaper at a parts house store?

There is this great litle peice of technology that will allow you to find out all this great info....

:popcorn:

The phone.

Give 1st subaru a call and they will set you up. They are great over there for that.

good luck.

nipper

By the way, I have a spare one and even the tensioner too if you want. I would think that you would want new ones. You can call the import experts at 1-800-572-3681 and get an entire timing set with all of the idler pulleys too for less than 200.00. The parts are all OEM quality, even made in Japan and I have used them several times without a hitch. PM me if you have any other questions and I can get you in touch with another vendor if necessary.

By the way, I have a spare one and even the tensioner too if you want. I would think that you would want new ones. You can call the import experts at 1-800-572-3681 and get an entire timing set with all of the idler pulleys too for less than 200.00. The parts are all OEM quality, even made in Japan and I have used them several times without a hitch. PM me if you have any other questions and I can get you in touch with another vendor if necessary.

i called import experts at the number above and ordered a set of pulleys with the three idlers and the tensioner pulley for $93 after shipping, GMB brand parts. i'll be ordering the tensioner adjuster from 1stsubaruparts.com as soon as i get around to it. 1stsub wants $90+shipping while import experts wanted $130+shipping. thanks for the hookup man!!:clap:

i think its an "as required" item. the endwrench article on timing belts says:

Visually check oil seals for leaks and rod ends for abnormal wear or scratches. If necessary, replace the belt tension adjuster. Caution: Slight traces of oil at the rod’s oil seal do not indicate a problem.

mine's got about 190k and it appears to be the original part so i'm paying the price to replace it now instead of my interference engine later.

i called import experts at the number above and ordered a set of pulleys with the three idlers and the tensioner pulley for $93 after shipping, GMB brand parts. i'll be ordering the tensioner adjuster from 1stsubaruparts.com as soon as i get around to it. 1stsub wants $90+shipping while import experts wanted $130+shipping. thanks for the hookup man!!:clap:

Anytime. Don't want to pay full price when we don't have too. If you need a know good piston and you don't want to pay 90 let me know and I can send you one of mine.

slightly off topic, i read a post recnetly that implied that you could swap a piston withpout cracking the main block case. is this true.? i thought if you went that deep you had to split the case.

so with the pan and heads off you can remove the pistons and rods, just not the crank??

thanks, john

slightly off topic, i read a post recnetly that implied that you could swap a piston withpout cracking the main block case. is this true.? i thought if you went that deep you had to split the case.

so with the pan and heads off you can remove the pistons and rods, just not the crank??

thanks, john

You can replace the pistons, but not the rods. I have actually done the pistons without cracking the block, but to do the rods you must split it.