Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Growling noise, right front, EA car...

As I mentioned, thank goodness for my wifes sense of humor and willingness to help. Normally for stuff like this, she would said NO WAY!

So, how did you manage to crawl all over the car while the wife drove? Is this a mechanic's stethoscope or a Doctor's or what?

(imagination running wild...)

Regular cheapo mechanics stethoscope. The hood removes in a matter of minutes, then... well... lets just say…

ATT00074.jpg

On another forum, the rule is, No pictures, then it didn't happen.. shy.gif

I was just gonna say I'm positive thats a wheel bearing. You drive these cars long enough and u can diagnose the problem over the internet. The color of the grease on the DOJ shaft was a dead give away that bearing was bad.

I use the red extreme pressure wheel bearing grease on my wheel bearings when ever it changes color its time for wheel bearings

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't so lucky. Sunday I started with the left front, even though, like Braap it sounded like it was in the right front. The bearings were fine in the left but the right had water fouled grease and one of the bearings was a bit rough. I also changed the pads and rotors at the same time.

Result? Still had bearing noise and still had brake shimmy. (sigh)

This morning I replaced the rear bearings and resurfaced the drums. The right side bearings were fine, but the left were adjusted too tight and the outer bearing showed signs of heat stress and some transferring of metal on the race.

Result? Brake shimmy gone :), still have bearing noise. :(

Looks like it's time to start prepping the spare transaxle since the differential carrier bearings must be the culprit. I like working on cars, but I like it even better when I'm getting paid for it. Maybe I'll go back to being a brain surgeon. :rolleyes: