Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Conditioner Problem Aircon A/C

2001 Forester, 90k miles. A/C has always worked fine, never any work done on it. Worked fine through 2hr trip one night, then the next morning...no cool air at all. Fan blew, but only warm ambient air. I checked all belts, fuses and relay switch, but all were ok. I looked over all hoses and lines, couldn't see condenser well, since it is jammed in there...but saw no obvious leaks. There is no sight glass on modern a/c systems. I tried to listen to the compressor under the hood as my wife turned the a/c on and off, and I couldn't hear it engaging so I figured that must be the culprit. I took it to the shop (Mike's in Allston) and his guess as I dropped it off was not the compressor, but a leak somewhere in system. He re-pressurized and immediately found the leak in lower driver's side corner of the condenser. $520 later for a new condenser, I am back on the road with cold a/c. Just wanted to share symptoms and resolution to help the next guy.