Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need input on restoring a 88 wagon or to toss out

Ok here is the story. I own a 88 GL wagon that recently blew a head gasket. Knowing that the repair really is not worth the value of the car I decided to buy a newer outback or Legacy. After a few months of searching I have found ZERO cars that hold any interest to me. They are all beat up really bad or have super high miles. I wanted to get into something safer and more reliable and more power.

I have $3000 to spend. I feel very comfortable in the GL so I have decided to maybe keep it. But if I do I want to restore it to cherry condition. I would like to do a EJ swap with a EJ AWD tranny, have the interior reupholstered, new carpet, new door panels, have the dings in the body taken out and repainted, maybe have a air bag system installed and possibly ABS. Pretty much have the whole car gone through.

Am I a fool or is this something that is that might be feasible?

I would like peoples input on what they would do in my situation. Maybe I should really let these old Subaru's die and keep searching for a EJ.... but I dunno

Keep it old school !

Sure the newer stuff is nice, but IMO they lack the character that the EA series possess.

Since you're comfortable with the 88, just work out the kinks.

Start with the drive train and work your way up to the cosmetics. :)

On a side note, why aren't you on the road to Astoria? Other than the obvious head gasket issue. ( ok, dumb question).

Why not do both. Im sure you can find a legacy to suite your needs for a couple grand. Then save the rest for your loyale. Could pickup a motor for a couple hundred bucks then put it in. But then dont stop there you can lower it, or raise it. Gut it or put in legacy seats. The possibilitys are endless. I always say that vehicles dont always die. Somethimes they just become something else.:)

Ben

NEVER restore the vehicle you are driving. That's a universal and many (including myself) have found it out the hard way.

Buy a legacy. Restore the GL at your leisure.

That's if you want to do it. I would reccomend against restoreing an 80's station wagon that's worth less than the shirt off your back.

Best to have seperate vehicles for each purpose if you like to wrench. I have the sporty driver that's "nice" to ferry around the GF. I have the off-road toy that's a dismal mess, always dirty, and often broken. I have the resoration project. And I have lots of parts, more projects than fingers & toes, and (obviously) a serious lack of sanity :rolleyes:

GD

Who cares what it looks like, dings, paint color, etc. Make it into a good runner. Putting money into it other than mechanically would be like pouring it down the drain. Family car for us looks like a paint by number car. :)

I have $3000 to spend.

Am I a fool or is this something that is that might be feasible?

I would like peoples input on what they would do in my situation.

Restore is an over used, out of context word, mostly. You can't get what you listed for 3K, and on a car with 240K on it...

I'd be bidding on the seventy odd thousand mile GL on eBay from Arizona...or something. You asked:). But It's at twenty five hundred right now.

And I have lots of parts, more projects than fingers & toes, and (obviously) a serious lack of sanity :rolleyes:

GD

Haha.... same here... I own 10 vehicles if you include the tractor, currently of which one (besides the tractor) is both running and registered. Another runs good, but is the work truck/offroader so isn't registered. And one more is registered... but doesn't run. Some of them are long long long term projects :grin:

Take a look at Beefaru's 88 wagon... sounds like you are looking at something similar to that. It's seriously nice

Z