Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle swap issues?

So I've undertaken an axle swap on my '88 DL 4WD. It had the stock axles, we swapped them for 23-spline automatic turbo axles. The passenger side went together without any hassle, but the driver's side axle seems to be too long! With the axle pin secure on the tranny stub and the axle through the hub, the ball joint seems to be 1/8" too far out to properly drop in. Is the AT narrower? Has anyone run into this before? I looked at the axle data sheet in the USRM and it didn't help much.

AXLSPLNS.JPG

Any help would be great.

you didn't say but i think this is an EA82?

all axles should be the same left to right.

non turbo and turbo axles should not be interchangeable though...your vehicle is a turbo?

My vehicle is a non-turbo EA82 '88 DL SPFI with push-button 4WD. It has the 23 spline axle stock. We had a set of EA82 GL-10 turbo automatic (23-spline instead of 25 which the manuals have) axles kicking around and figured they'd fit so we tried. I'm just wondering if one axle is longer or what as the right side went in without issue.

Axles are the same both sides. According to the chart, the AT turbo axles are the same as the MT axles, and should fit no problem.

If one doesn't fit, maybe the car got schmucked? Pushed one wheel in a bit? Or maybe it is just a bit stiffer that side, and harder to pull the strut out so it all goes together?

the question here i guess would be is the 3AT turbo case narrower by any means than a MT case as far as the axles being a little longer.

i am having this same problem in my rx with 5 lug xt knuckles and legacy axles.

the only variable i could see here is the orientation of the strut cap.

otherwise if we put in the stock axle it would fit fine.

we did make sure to bottom the doj for clearance, and i have tried prying the motor over for more room

I JUST got done fighting with this same problem.

My D/R is 23 spline, and I think the case is 23 spline is 23 spline is 23 spline. :rolleyes:

No idea about all the trickery of which trans, versus turbo/non turbo..... would be which. It all gets a little confusing if you ask me.

But, I do have a few suggestions to help get your axle in.

1: Loosen the strut tower nuts for a bit more wiggle room. I wouldn't normally do this, but if you just can't get it - something has to give.

2: And more importantly.... DO NOT put the roll pin in the axle before getting the bottom balljoint back in. That was the problem with mine.