Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was talking to a friend of mine that has a OB wagon, I think it is a 99. He has about 60-70K miles on it.

His speedo/odometer isn't working. As far as I know, that is the only problem. My first thought was one of the speed sensors, but wouldn't that affect shifting or throw on a CEL.

I haven't seen the car, and he lives a couple of hours away. For now I'm just looking for some diagnostic help/ideas to throw his way.

Thanks

The speedometer on my '94 legacy crapped out; somehow the cable became loose from the speedometer itself. Try using a mirror to see undrneath the steering column ( unless you are a contortionist its hard to do otherwise) If thats the case, have one person hold it in place where it meets the tranny or adaptor or whatever, while the other person reconnects underneath the dash.

also, i don't know about that particular model, but some earlier legacies have an adaptor thingy (between the cable and trans.)that can apparently crap out also, but i'd check the cable first.

Does his odometer work?

• 5 years later...
I was talking to a friend of mine that has a OB wagon, I think it is a 99. He has about 60-70K miles on it.

His speedo/odometer isn't working. As far as I know, that is the only problem. My first thought was one of the speed sensors, but wouldn't that affect shifting or throw on a CEL.

I haven't seen the car, and he lives a couple of hours away. For now I'm just looking for some diagnostic help/ideas to throw his way.

Thanks

bad speedos are a fairly common problem for the 99 year, outbacks anyway. in most other years i would guess the speed sensor end of things, but for a 99 it's probably the speedo. do a search and you should find several threads on this.

you can use a speedo out of any 96 - 98 (99) outback, at least. maybe 00- beyond.

• 9 months later...
bad speedos are a fairly common problem for the 99 year, outbacks anyway. in most other years i would guess the speed sensor end of things, but for a 99 it's probably the speedo. do a search and you should find several threads on this.

you can use a speedo out of any 96 - 98 (99) outback, at least. maybe 00- beyond.

i dont think this is true... i bought a cluster from a 98 and it wouldnt work.. i believe they have a 2 wire speedo plug, the 99 has a one wire plug.. all the other guages etc worked, but no speedo...

When the speed sensor was out on 98 legacy it threw code P0420 I think.

ECU went to limp mode and no revving over about 4000 rpm (ecu would cut engine out then would work again after a few seconds).

Revving in lower rpms was fine though.

P0420 is an emissions related code; that code shouldn't cause you to go into limp mode. Check the code again.