Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Turbo Legacy Fuel pump problem

I would hook 12v to the pump to see if it works... if not make sure there isn't something in the gas that's burning them out, ect.

If it is then perhaps the fuel pump relay is malfunctioning.

As noted above I would check the pin on the ECU that is responsible for grounding the coil in the relay and check to make sure it grounds that pin while cranking.

GD

First check to see if power is getting to the pump by checking the voltage to it, compared to ground. If there isn't any voltage check the fuses and relay for a problem. If voltage is getting to the pump then the ground side may not be working as Porcupine73 stated. If the pump runs by applying power directly to it as GD suggested then you know the pump is ok and have verified the ECU ground for the pump isn't working.

There should be some past info on that as I have shown some others how to fix that trouble by replacing a small TO-92 transistor in the ECU. Cost is about 2 dollars for the part. Another poster provided some nice pictures of the area in the ECU also to refer to.