Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 dual carb flow rate

Psyko

I can't seem to figure out the cfm of the stock carbs on an EA81 dual carb intake. I'd like to replace them with something else, but don't know what size of carb to look for. Any chance somebody knows this? From what I've seen, nobody does, but I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised. ;)

The standard carbs are 20/27 throats. And personally I think they only work well above 4000rpm, lower and you don't need much throttle to get maximum power. So I would aim with some carbs with similar throats.

I've just got done with cleaning mine and replacing what was needed. I've decided they are pretty nice carbs with few draw backs so I'm just going to stick with them for now.

The carbs are pretty simple if you have all the parts of cause. They are also pretty similar to standard pre 82 EA81 carbs (at least in Australia they are). Pitty I've already done mine so I couldn't do a photo doc'o of them for you.

Do you want to keep the standard manifold, or go custom one on each head type of thing (that's what my plans were, and still are eventually). A small Weber off a 1300cc to 1500cc motor x2 would be a good choice. I'm thinking something like what my brother had on his Fiat X1/9 1300. I think you can get adapters for the older smaller sized EA81 manifolds to Webers. I don't know when it happened but here in Australia at least the EA81's went to the same carb bolt pattern as the EA82's have. I thought it was in 83, but I've seen the smaller size on an 84 so maybe it was later like 85?

The carbs are pretty simple if you have all the parts of cause. They are also pretty similar to standard pre 82 EA81 carbs (at least in Australia they are). Pitty I've already done mine so I couldn't do a photo doc'o of them for you.

Do you want to keep the standard manifold, or go custom one on each head type of thing (that's what my plans were, and still are eventually). A small Weber off a 1300cc to 1500cc motor x2 would be a good choice. I'm thinking something like what my brother had on his Fiat X1/9 1300. I think you can get adapters for the older smaller sized EA81 manifolds to Webers. I don't know when it happened but here in Australia at least the EA81's went to the same carb bolt pattern as the EA82's have. I thought it was in 83, but I've seen the smaller size on an 84 so maybe it was later like 85?

I'll have to dig into them a bit to see just how messed up they are. I'm not expecting great things though, as one of them has "spare" parts shoved down the barrel and there are just general vacuum lines I don't know the destination of. The cheapest and easiest way to get this on the road will probably be to just make them work, so making them work is probably going to be how I go about this.

My ultimate goal is to get a custom intake setup with a carb over each head. That's going to be a while out though, as I'm miserably poor, so, for the immediate future, less exotic ideas are running through my mind. As the potential engine thief can attest to, hatchsub ;), dual Webers is on my wish list, so the Fiat lead is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Or you could sell me that motor and simplify your life :grin:
I would, but shipping such a large item would be so much of a hassle. Too bad, eh? :-p

And sell me those stinkin carbs. Cheap. :)
If I go to a custom intake and decide to get rid of the old setup, you're on the top of the list, for cheap, my friend. Just don't go holding your breath. I'm a bit of a pack rat (UNDERSTATEMENT) and don't want to be responsible for your death.

Another idea is to put SPFI on, i should give somewhat similar to the Weber 32/36.

I've heard the 32/36 single has more low end and less top end then the dual carbs.

Whne you want help with things like vac lines drop me a PM, email or come over to my forum at offroadingsubarus.com. I'm sure I can give any info needed.