Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump longevity : a poll

My car is 13 years old and around 160 K miles.

Would it be overpreventive maintenance to replace the fuel pump or would it be wise. How many of you have had the fuel pump konk out before 200 K miles ?

When I bought the car used in 2001, I made it a challenge never to have it strand me. Up to now I've kept up with regular maintenance and have replaced a few part even before they went bad (alternator for one). The car has performed flawlessly. I'd like to keep it another 3 to 5 years.

The pumps tend to last for quite a while. I hear of a very few amount of the first gen legacies on the boards that have their pump go out, and the 1990 MY is coming up on 20 years.

It probably couldn't hurt to replace the pump, but it certainly wouldn't be high on my list of parts to replace.

Also, if replaced with an aftermarket unit, that might be worse than the well-used original part. What's some other tips....keep fuel filter changed regularly to prevent excessive restriction for the pump, which makes it draw more current, which makes it get hotter... and some people say keep enough fuel in the tank to immerse the pump since the fuel can kind of act like a coolant for the pump then?