Ultimate Subaru Message Board

storing SOHC 2.5 question

I plan on storing a SOHC EJ 2.5 for some duration. Any suggestions on how to prep it for it's slumber? Also, if there is any remaining/ residual coolant in the water jacket, will that be OK for winter? (I don't believe a minimal amount of water freezing would damage anything).

Thanks, Todd

I plan on storing a SOHC EJ 2.5 for some duration. Any suggestions on how to prep it for it's slumber? Also, if there is any remaining/ residual coolant in the water jacket, will that be OK for winter? (I don't believe a minimal amount of water freezing would damage anything).

Thanks, Todd

in or out of a car?

It out of a car. Oil/coolant drained, spark plugs out/ rubber wire caps in.

Todd

you should be fine the way it is. you might get some lite cylinder wall rust but probably not any thing to worry about. if it was me and i was planning on doing something to it ie, rebuild, head gasket, something. i would take the heads off and give a good coating of wd40 to the cylinders and a good coating to most everything. you just can't go wrong with a good coating of wd40.

I guess my biggest concern was residual water freezing.

Todd

don't worry about that, it only an issue of cracking blocks when all the water passages are full with water and then it freezes and the ice has no where to expand and it cracks your block. if you have little pockets of water here and there in your motor there isn't anything to worry. you could rotate the motor on your stand a few times to get any little water that is left out, but i think that would be over kill :horse:

Since it's out of the car, I'd be putting some LC20 in each spark plug hole and then turn the crank a few times to spread it around in the cylinder. Stuff an oily rag in the intake and exhaust ports. Not sure if there is any position like this but leave crank in a position with the most possible valves closed. Before the enigne was removed, it should have been run with gaosline with a stiff does of fuel stabilizer to help prevent gunking up of the injectors.

hehe yes, the valves closed things I see in a lot of single cylinder small engines for generators, wackers, etc. It says to pull until you feel that it is on the compression stroke. Guessing there probably isn't a position though on the soob where all the valves on all the cylinders are closed. But stuffing the intake and exhaust ports with an oily rag could at least help keep moist air from comin in there.

i don't know where you are going to store this engine, but critters LOVE the leftover anti freeze. you might rinse it off. i wouldn't cover it or wrap it up, that just makes the critters think it's a great new place for acorn storage.

i used foil backed hvac tape to close all of the openings and hose ends, which was very sticky and took some time to clean off but it sealed well. that tape is expensive, but i had it already. a heavy tin foil might work just as well. critters could still eat it but why would they.