Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What improvements and preformance mods have you seen or heard of that have been made

What improvements and preformance mods have you seen or heard of that have been made to 1400s? since they where new untill now

ive been thinking about this for quite an long time and wondering what has been done?

like power up grades, engine transplants.

ive seen quite an few 1600 engines fitted to 1400s

Has any one fitted an EJ engine into an 1400?

what about supercharged or even turbo 1400cc engine :-p

what about 5 lug swap?

Im having lots of random questions running thu my head :lol:

Edited by kiwi subbie

I know of an Guy that had on GSR back in the day. he repaired it since it was in an accident. he used to work for an couple subaru dealerships

he rebuilt the engine and blue printed it, Port & Polish, fitted an 5spd in it. wouldnt take long to go over 100MPH. i dont know what the top speed was.

I had a 74 gl coupe as well as a couple of GSR's and FF-1, on the gl i fitted a 1600 with the 1400 3 port head and the dual carbs, the heads needed to be modified around the water jackets and fitted the gsr cam, the fastest i drove the car was 117 mph and that was with one carb with a partial blocked jet, it was pulling about 7500rpm on the tacho in 4th gear, wish i had a 5 speed.

Thierry

I had a 74 gl coupe as well as a couple of GSR's and FF-1, on the gl i fitted a 1600 with the 1400 3 port head and the dual carbs, the heads needed to be modified around the water jackets and fitted the gsr cam, the fastest i drove the car was 117 mph and that was with one carb with a partial blocked jet, it was pulling about 7500rpm on the tacho in 4th gear, wish i had a 5 speed.

Thierry

Why do u have to say stuff like that...now i want a GSR. lol. :burnout:

I had a 74 gl coupe as well as a couple of GSR's and FF-1, on the gl i fitted a 1600 with the 1400 3 port head and the dual carbs, the heads needed to be modified around the water jackets and fitted the gsr cam

Thought it'd be appropriate to chime in here. I picked up an engine that sounds similar to this set up. The heads are very modified 1400 3 port. They are set up to accept dual Weber 48 IDAs as far as I can tell. When I tore it down, I found major damage to the block. Turns out whoever built the thing had the wrong cam in there. Not to mention the engine had held water at one point. I've attached some pics. I have two things to say:

1. Does anyone have an early 1400 cam for sale? One that came out of an engine that had the 3 port heads (dual exhaust port heads)?

2. If not, anyone out there interested in making an offer for the heads?

100_4121.jpg

100_4119.jpg

100_4145.jpg

Cheers,

Crabman