Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm doing a timing belt change on my 90 legacy 2.2 which is the first one I have ever done, about 130k on it. So I've gotten it apart (having read all the amazing advice on this board) and realized that the pulley has worn a groove all the way through the outer timing cover which doesn't appear to be warped. When we broke the bolt loose it was definitely tight, so tight as it broke the first socket. This makes me wonder how it could move on the crankshaft at all? There are slight signs of rust and I'm thinking I should replace the pulley when I put it back together with either a new one or a seemingly good one from a wrecking yard. The crankshaft doesn't look damaged or scarred. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I had a 91 Leggie with the 2.2 motor. The pulley kept coming loose and chewing up the end of the crank shaft. Several times, I tightened it up the best that I could, only to have it come loose again. Finally used some Loctite on the threads to keep the bolt from backing out. The Loctite really did the trick in solving the problem.

i replied off line...you should answer those questions here.

does the crank pulley look new or newer than a really old original pulley? it's possible it was replaced by the prior owner...and the old pulley did the damage.

otherwise it's a two piece pulley, look at it closely (like i mentioned off line) and see if it's beginning to separate.

Checked the pulley carefully and it seems to be in fairly good shape with what GaryG said is a rubber section built in for dampening, etc. Mine looks to Definitely NOT be separating and looks better than several I eyed at the local wrecking yard yesterday. I'm gonna assume it has been replaced and the one prior to my ownership of the car came apart. I like the idea of loctiting it on re-assembly as I am awaiting parts from 1st subaru right now. Should I apply loc-tite on the shaft and the crank bolt? Thanks for all the help!:)

Just apply the loc-tite on the threads. If the bolt comes loose enough for the pulley to start moving, no amount of loc-tite on the shaft is going to stop it. The pulley is machines to a tight tolerance and fits on the crank shaft very snugly and can be hard enough to get off without added assistance.

Edited by lostinthe202
typing too fast... not making... sense...