Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carter weber to hitachi

I have a carter weber 1bbl on my 82 brat. It's in need of a rebuild and I havent had any luck in locating a kit. That would be my first choice of action. I also have a good to go ea82 manifold with a hitachi. That would be my second choice. I know that the weber 32/36 is the overwhelming feel good choice on this board, but not in the cards right now. Any thing to pay attention to regarding plumbing if I decide to make the switch? ea 81 0r 82 manifold gaskets, source, extraneous stuff I can rid myself of? Emissions are not a problem.

Thanks

Intake gaskets you should get from subaru direct. They dont cost that much and are much better quality than aftermarket. As far as emissions stuff, if you want to start cleaning up your engine bay, basically all you need is vacuum advance for the distributor, power for the choke, and fuel/fuel return. If you are running vacuum for your choke too which i assume you are you will need that too. All else can be removed. But just to be on the safe side.. remove it and start the car all along the way to make sure you didnt yank something important.

Make sure that the water cooling holes are in the same place; I think they might be different between the EA81 and EA82 manifolds. Send a PM to bratsrus1; Jerry has adapted an EA 82 manifold to the EA81 heads and could answer your question better than I. He might even have a manifold for you that was already machined to work on your engine.

Edited by edrach

Like hatchsub said, you can remove all emissions lines and plug them with a proper fitting cap on the Hitachi. Put a vac from the manifold to the vac advance, and also to the choke. The only line to the carb should be the fuel/fuel return line. You can hook up the EGR if you want, but I found that it is not necessary on my particular engine (EA71). There should be a vent to the bowl which you do not need to plug. Be sure all ather nipples on the carb are plugged properly, and it will work just fine, al long as you don't have to worry about o2 sensors and stuff.

You can get more power if you go to the carter/weber though. I actually replaced mine with a Rochester 2-jet. Works fine. A small "simple" carb will work fine on these engines. You can pick one up rebuilt for around 60 bucks. I built my own adapter plates with nothing more than a drill press and a jigsaw, with a scrap piece of aluminum. I've seen everything from the hitachi's to 4bbl Hollys on these things. Again, all those emissions vac lines are not necessary for the "engine" to run as originally designed. Most emissions on these engines were an afterthought.