Ultimate Subaru Message Board

longer rear shocks for use with honda springs

I acquired a set of new stock wagon shocks mated to the Honda front springs for a lift in the rear. The springs are waaay too stiff and pre-compressed for the stock-spec shocks, and their seals are already blown.

I'm looking for longer shocks that will fit the stock mounting points and work nicely with the taller and stiffer Honda springs for lifted on/off road use.

Anybody know of something off the top of their head?

No, the only real option is to get new stock rear struts and mount the Honda springs to them. Subaru had a couple different versions of the rear struts depending on body style, 4wd/fwd, etc, but I'm assuming you're doing this on a 4wd wagon since that's the most common candidate for this mod, so you already have the tallest struts.

I actually found the honda spring mod, with RX springs in the front, to be fantastic. It's definitely a bit stiff for unloaded, slow speed driving over bumps, but for taking large whoops at speed (like the frost heaves on our highways here) with a load in the car, it was great. The car handled so much better, and never bottomed out.

Edited by Snowman
correction