Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 legacy sooooclose to the ground

I got this car recently and want to change the oil myself but I cant fit under the car. It seems so low I wanted to know if I can drive it up a set of ramps, saw a set at PEP boys? Other than oil and filter , any other tools needed, I looked under it and cant hardly see anything. For the winter should I stick with synthetic? thanks

As a side note, even though oil/gas prices have plummeted why is a quart of oil nearly 3 dollars:mad:

Yeah, it's a pain. I have a set of ramps that I use on my 06 OBW. But I'm to the point now that I don't even bother with the ramps. I have a Fumoto valve on the pan so no more drain bolts to deal with and the only hard part is the filter because it's hidden up between two runs of the exhaust manifold and I always burn my hand on the heat shield. You probably want to get one of those oil filter wrenches you can stick on the end of extension for a ratchet (see photo).

I use a good scissor jack that I got from a wrecking yard. It came from an Audi. It is a much larger and stronger jack than the one that comes with the Subie. Jacks easily right behind the passanger front wheel. Gives sufficient room to drain the oil and replace the oil filter. If using a scissor jack, be sure to chalk the road wheels to prevent the car from rolling even a little bit, and applying the hand brake. Nothing dumber then getting injured from a car rolling off a jack.