Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gravel Justy

Quidam

Hey,

I've got unfettered access to about 200 acres here. In the hills. Groomed motorcycle/atv trail kinda stuff. Long gravel roads, one a private campground.

Anyway. This car has 71,000 actual miles on it. I suspect water pump seal failure. I knew it as the signs were all there. Screw it. That's why I've got parts cars.

I beat on it. :) With those tires, like driving on marbles, full throttle. It was worth it.

It's done.

Doug

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=334

Thanks Jerry. That would be 5750 rpm with the ECVT tranny...90 mph. That's the top speed, with the ECVT. It would out-run any EA-82 car that I've driven...up to that speed.

I've been tempted to put one of my DR transmissions in it, with a different motor of course. I don't know of any Justy with a DR 5 speed in it. Anyone?

About a lift. For the type of driving I do and the terrain, I don't need one. No big rocks to go over, lots of gas/oil well trails. Foothills to the mountains. It would effect the center of gravity to the negative, for me.

Now, a boxer with a DR would go the other way on that count. I can only imagine low range WOT power shifts in this light-weight with a healthy boxer. :)

On the other hand, I've been tempted to sell an old GM rig I have.

Buy an LS all aluminum Corvette motor, Powerglide tranny. Cut the firewall. Straight front axle. I have a 31 spline 9" Ford rear end...drag strip. You get the picture.

I don't know right now.

Doug

Edit: Just FYI. You won't see any antenna on that Justy. AC, radio, spare tire, jack, lug wrench, and more...all gone. When I'm driving it like that. Those are roll bars on top. Motorcycle battery too. All it's got to do is start the car.

Edited by Quidam
Update post.

• 3 weeks later...

picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=391

picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=393

picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=390

Both sway bars removed. Last pictures of the day. Exhaust heat shields all removed. I've taken an interest in "Dwarf Car" technology. lol

Later on

picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=392

At 5500 rpm on gravel/ice/snow I'm going about 68 mph. It doesn't hook up, mabie that's a good thing. Feather the throttle. On blacktop at 5750, 90 mph. It used to anyway, haven't tried it lately. I had deer to the left of me, cows to the right, a private bridge up ahead. Only time I dared to look at the speedo/tach.

Hey, this thing has Ds range on the tranny, you know:).

Doug

P.S.

Happy Trails

Edited by Quidam
Update.

what kind of dog is your passenger? Have you let him drive it yet. jk nice fun little car

Hey,

He's a 40 lb. Shepherd pup. He's too young to drive:). This car is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I'm going to run it across the scales soon. I want it as low as I can get it. ty.

Doug

Edit:picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=402

Both tie rod ends are shot. That happens around here.

picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=413

This is steeper and deeper than it looks from this picture. There are three ditches on this trail too. Best way to cross is diagional and jump them, kinda.

Edited by Quidam
Add picture.