Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I have a stuck caliper?

While driving got some nasty brake smell. Pulled over and I couldnt see nothing. Got on the highway and got mad vibrations at 45-55mph so I pulled off checked my brake fluid and it was at a good level, filthy for being a week old though. Then the emergency brake has to be pulled really hard to engage or else it just bounces down . It still works just has to be pulled hard or it dont stay up. Im assuming the vibrations happen on the highway from the heat of friction at higher speeds warping the rotors? Are they stuck? What else could it be?

I would say from the sound of your e-brake needing to be pulled hard to engage, that your E-brake is seized. With this cold weather chances are your E-brake is either frozen or rusted shut. The reason you are pulling and not feeling any resistance is the cable is already pulled tight and it takes a good amount of travel in the handle to meet the cable again..if that makes sense.

You can always remove the Ebrake cables from the calipers, just to see if that's it. If so, replace the cables. If not, replace/rebuild the calipers. They may just be gunked up and need cleaning and new grease on the slides.

The vibration, maybe the brakes rubbing, tires need to be balanced, worn steering parts, etc.