Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 and D/R 5MT into my 84 hatch - now with photo updates!

mountaingoatgruff

some of you may have read my thread in old soobs about my smog issues with the SPFI setup i installed. well, i'm pretty sure i'm just going to drop the 2.2 into it and call it good. so, i've been reading the writeup pdf, threads and answers in preparation. here are the initial questions i haven't found solid answers for, i s'pose i could search more but i've got an appointment at 7 tonight.:grin:

i'll be using a 95 EJ22 with it's OBD II harness and an 89 D/R 5MT.

first, for running the D/R 5MT i want to use an XT6 pressure plate with an EA82 flywheel and clutch disc. which pilot and t/o bearings should i use, EA82 for both i'd assume?

second, has anyone gotten their EA81 temp gauge to work by wiring in a resistor?

third, if i can't afford to drop the 5MT in at the same time (because of the driveshaft shortening) what do i need to change on my clutch setup? from what i've read i'd only need to come up with the EA82 flywheel, XT6 pp and 85 Nissan 720 pickup t/o bearing and i could reuse the EA81 clutch disc but would i use an EA81 or EA82 pilot bearing? also, does anyone have a part # for the Nissan t/o bearing?

Edited by mountaingoatgruff

okay, i've the first and third figured out, but i'm still wondering about the second.

has anyone gotten their EA81 temp gauge to read properly by adding a 275ohm resistor the way Numbchux' pdf suggests?

i figure i'll try it myself (if i go through with this swap) but i'd like to know if someone can tell me i'm wasting my time there.

I didn't use a resistor, but my radiator had an extra bung that was plugged and was the exact size for the ea sender. It reads a little cool until the thermostat opens. Good luck with your swap. Probably good that you know the local smog ref. I still haven't taken mine in to get checked by the ref. My next smog test is in May, so I'm going to get on it soon.

Daniel

(because of the driveshaft shortening)

Actually it needs to be longer. (just so you know). I've done this same swap into my hatch. I just used all XT6 clutch and bearings with an EA82 flywheel, and I've had no problems yet. I think I've got like 3,000 miles on it now.

i'll have to check my rad to see if it has a spot for the cts, if not i'm thinking about trying to mount a cts right behind the hose on the coolant crossover that bolts to the top of the block. i'm not running p/s and i'll be swapping intakes already, won't be much more trouble to swap that out. i'll use a jy spare to hack up in case it goes over like t-bone flavored ice cream. i'll drill the hole then have my radiator guy braze a bung onto it, he does occasional al repairs.

good catch on the driveshaft length, pooparu. the reason i'm having mine shortened though is because when i bought my brat it had an ej22, d/r 5speed and lengthened driveshaft in it already. i called around and to have my hatch's driveshaft lengthened would be around $250 because of the price of tubing but to have the brat's chopped down & rebalanced for the shorter wheelbase of the hatch is only $80 in labor and i can just get a 2-piece from an EA82 wagon for the brat down the road.

how do you like the power and mileage, pooparu?

The power is great. I only wish I could get it to hook up. That's why I'm looking into switching to an AWD set-up. Sometime I have to put it in 4WD high to get a good launch in wet weather and up a hill, but man it's fun. I can't wait to take it up to the snow. I'm not too sure on the mileage 'cause my speedometer is off due to the larger tires, but I think I'm getting about 30 to 32 to the gallon.

here you guys are. This is the one I used. You can get the engine up to temp then just adjust the the pot. to where you want the guage to read. I set it at about 250 ohms to start and fine tuned from there. Here is the link

EMAIL="http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=potentiometers&origkw=Potentiometers&sr=1"]http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=potentiometers&origkw=Potentiometers&sr=1[/email]

5K-Ohm Audio-Taper Potentiometer

Model: 271-1720 | Catalog #: 271-1720

Perfect for use in projects or as a replacement part.

Product Rating

0 stars

(0 Ratings)Write a Review

Online: In stock - Usually ships in 1 - 2 business days | In-store: Available at most stores, find it near you

• 2 weeks later...

a variable resistor is a pretty stinkin good idea!

i already started on my other idea of putting a bung for the EA81 sensor on the EJ22 coolant crossover, i guess i like playing with the dremel in aluminum. :rolleyes:

i snagged a crossover for $5 at the jy. i already cut a "bung" out of where the cts threaded into the old carby manifold of my hatch, i just need to drill it for the bung (under where the p/s pump would've been and about an inch behind where the hose comes to, it'll be much easier to access right there than tucked under the back of the intake) and then all i've got left is to have my radiator guy weld it up for me.

i'll post pics when it's done.

i finally just started, thought i'd share...

there was a ton of paint peeling under the master cylinder and the crossmember/suspension were caked with crud. so i tore it all down and i'll do some repainting there. i also wanted to clean everything really well, just being anal i guess.

IMG_0834-1.jpg?t=1230761068

this is after cleaning it up, i'm sure plenty of folks wish there bay looked this good, that's one of the very few upsides of cali. being able to do this in the middle of winter is another...

IMG_0835.jpg?t=1230761102

can you tell which side had a cv boot explode?

IMG_0836.jpg?t=1230761194

97 EJ22 (that water hearter is electric, not a fire hazard):

IMG_0837.jpg?t=1230761265

89 D/R 5 Speed:

IMG_0838.jpg?t=1230761313

gen 1 a-bar, $12 at jy - i'll modify it for use on the hatch. those are the pups in the background:

IMG_0839.jpg?t=1230761403

EA81 engine bay harness, minus a/c and engine management:

IMG_0840.jpg?t=1230761540

Edited by mountaingoatgruff

Man that thing is already really clean! How many miles? I'm really jealous now!!

the hatch has 170k, the ej has 180k, i don't know about the trans.

the engine has new t-belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, cam seals, front & rear crank seals, rebuilt oil pump, and newish magnecor 8.5mm plug wires.

the plan is to swap the 95 manifold i have onto the 97 longblock and run it with the 95 ecm & harness (the 95 is a cali non-egr motor and simpler is better, also some minor details will make passing the visual inspection easier as a 95, especially the vapor cansiter - has to be oe from donor car). i'll go with a ghetto rigged exhaust (cut & weld to make the legacy's fit) till i can get some $ for materials for a custom job.

the trans has had all external seals replaced and looks to be in great shape.

i'm about to go out and do my paint touch-up tonight...what a way to spend new year's!