Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuild or swap.

The compression on my 87 Ea82 with 230K on it is all over the board 152, 100, 150, 80. I was woudering if I should just rebuild the engine (new seals, have heads rebuilt, cam ground, cyl's honed, new rings and bearings....etc), or upgrade to an EJ.

I'm not good at wiring, so playing with the wiring harness scares me a little. The wagon Is just a beater DD and don't want to dump alot of money into, but at the same time I want something reliable.

thanks,

Dan

lots of variables here...how much time do you have, are you doing the work yourself, how much money, how many miles per year do you drive, how many more miles/years would you like out of this car...on and on....

rebuilds can be very expensive and time consuming. price out all the parts first and see how that sits with you.

get another low mileage engine and reseal it.

it's not a bad idea to just reseal the current motor and keep your eyes open for a new motor. if you want realibility you might even consider an EA82 but dumb down the boost. mostly just because EA82's are easier to find.

with that kind of mileage i wouldn't put a ton of effort into the car. it's not hard to find a good car for cheap these days that needs some work, keep your eyes out. if you can rebuild an engine you can find a cheap good car that needs a clutch.

The engine didn't burn any oil, and the cyl walls look good. A buddy let me use his pen microscope (that thing was so cool). I plan on doing all the work myself, except the head work. I picked up a 32/36 weber at a swap meet for almost nothing a few yrs back, and now have a veichle to put it on.

The car mechanically is in good condition, so I don't just want to dump her. I Only really need 4-5 yrs out of her untill I finish college. I think I am going to re-build the engine. I have the next 2 weeks off of college and work, so time is not a problem.

plus I love tearing ************ apart and getting dirty. On a side not Is the Haynes manuals pretty good. Back in the day I used to use Chiltons, but it seems like they arn't as good as they used to be.

thanks for all your guys advice.

Seriously, it is not cost effective to rebuild this engines. I've done a couple, and I don't plan on any more. I was into it $1000 by the time I got new rings, bearings, seals, water pump, and oil pump, and had the heads gone through at a reasonably priced machine shop. That's without any machine work on the block or anything. I know it's fun to do it yourself, which is why I did, but at this point I would rather spend an extra few hundred to get a motor from CCR and know that's going to be perfect, swap in a known good motor with new T-belts and seals, or swap in an EJ22 and enter the 1990s as far as technology and performance.

If you are in a subaru-rich area, it seems to be a bit cheaper to just swap in another EA82... I just got a used one in good condition for $250. I would think that in Oregon it should be about as easy to find one. I doubt you could do an entire rebuild for that much. Of course, it won't be as good as an entire rebuild... but a used one with fewer miles would probably last another few years.

Z

The engine didn't burn any oil, and the cyl walls look good. ...

So, Maybe it only needs a Minor Job, let me Explain.

My EA82 Wagon, Back in 2005 started to Burn a Li`l bit of Oil and lost some Compression, maybe the Situation was just like Yours...

I Opened it, and just Changed the Valves` Seals and Resealed them (adjusting Valves` Fit to the Heads), and Changed Head Gaskets and Sealers / Retainers... and That`s All the Engine Needed to be Running Great Again! :headbang:

Welcome to the Board and Good Luck! :burnout: