Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some Hatch progress

The Beast I Drive

I got the 5 speed D/R in my Hatch recently, so I could set up my shifters. I personally love the way it came out, Ive got it twin sticked, and my Hurst Indy shifter assembly on :banana: so here is some crappy cell phone pics, no I dont have a nice camera, spent all my money on car parts :grin:

12-12-08_1556.jpg

12-12-08_1554.jpg

12-12-08_1555.jpg

Made a custom bracket and modified a few shifters and a lot of linkage to make it work flawlessly :banana: Im waiting for some switches (bulk order) and some guages and relays and stuff to clean up that wiring nightmare there on the floor :eek: and it will all go into my custom dash that I have yet to build. I stipped about 50% of the wiring so far, and there is more to go on that yet. There is a ton of work to do on this thing but the Mud tires and lift keep me motivated :burnout:

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive
pics

Wow, I dont know why I didnt think of that, great idea! Ill have to go find another E brake handle at my favorite junkyards.

-Bill

I thought I had seen a thread on it on here somewhere. It's what gave me the idea. And after putting in a clutch and looking at how easy it would be once you get a second handle. It's stuck with me as one of the off-road Soob must haves. I just gotta snag a second handle as well.

Kind makes me wanna set up some rears as well (isn't it the 240sx rear brakes people use for rear handbrake?) and set those up the same. (but dang, 4 handbrake handles?!?!.... analog traction control haha!) Then I can dump the welded diff.

Hmm... rears maybe hydro, with just a couple smaller vertical levers right next to reach other for easy quick one hand on both operation.......

* I have a tractor with turn brakes and a locker. Sometimes I experiment with just using the turnbrakes in a "locker situation". Works good once you get the hang of it.

Edited by TeamCF

I thought I had seen a thread on it on here somewhere. It's what gave me the idea. And after putting in a clutch and looking at how easy it would be once you get a second handle. It's stuck with me as one of the off-road Soob must haves. I just gotta snag a second handle as well.

Kind makes me wanna set up some rears as well (isn't it the 240sx rear brakes people use for rear handbrake?) and set those up the same. (but dang, 4 handbrake handles?!?!.... analog traction control haha!) Then I can dump the welded diff.

Hmm... rears maybe hydro, with just a couple smaller vertical levers right next to reach other for easy quick one hand on both operation.......

* I have a tractor with turn brakes and a locker. Sometimes I experiment with just using the turnbrakes in a "locker situation". Works good once you get the hang of it.

I put turnimg breaks on my first red subaru, dont know if it ever helped the locked rearend is way better, if I did it again I would get the smallest cylinders and rework the linkage to get more leverage to stop that spinning tire ,as the time you want to lock the tire is when its spinning with all the power going threw it, also I would use discs on the rear to help also, it was a novel item to have,

Well i want all the traction i can get, plans are to put a 3.9 clutch LSD in the rear, and I have rear discs off a T wag that are goin on, the stock ones drag right now :-\. The cutter brakes and rear LSD should make snow a lot more fun for me :grin: but I'll prolly have to wait till next winter to find out. If I have it done this spring it will see plenty of mud and mountains though :headbang:

-Bill

Well over the weekend I essentially got nothing done for I was cleaning/reorganizing the shop. BUT, tonight I got a little done. First I made my steering extension. I used an EA82 power steering double U-joint piece and lengthened it between the joints, then removed the rag joint from the Hatch's manual steering rack after clocking it slightly to gain a better U-joint angle. So far it seems to work marvelously, no binding at all :banana:

12-15-08_1954.jpg

12-15-08_1955.jpg

Next I started fabbing up the sheet metal for the interior to cover my tailights and wiring. I only got the center piece done tonight, tomorrow or Wednesday I will fab up the curved pieces for the corners, then cut and weld filler pieces for the spaces at the bottom.

12-15-08_2213.jpg

12-15-08_2212.jpg

I would be working on the dash but my switches are still a week or so out and I need to order guages. Lots to go, more updates to come, and I should have some better quality pics of my work so far soon, Ill be borrowing my friend's camera for a day.

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive
pics

Unfortunately not a lot of progress lately, due to holiday laziness on my part, but I did finish up my rear interior panels, all I need to do there now is prep for the SuperCaulk stuff. Havent done much of anything else though, but here are some better pics of my shifter set up for those who asked

DSCN1076.jpg

DSCN1075.jpg

DSCN1081.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

-Bill