Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LOUD "ping": Problem Solved

84 GL Wagon 4WD

I just got finished swapping an intake manifold and a weber carb tonight, wrapped up the loose ends, etc.

thinking everything looked tidy and fit.

I was stoked:)

Upon turning the ignition over, a sharp "ping", is all that is heard, no turning over at all. The starter engages, the accessories work, all seems grand until i try and start it.

All the swappage looks to be ok, where should i look?

What would cause something like that?

************ that sounded awful:-\

Edited by Greenley

Maybe you dropped something into the heads when you had the manifold off :eek: that or the starter could be toast, had it happen to me once, but I had the e brake on and forgot it was in gear, so I didnt push in the clutch...

did it sound like it came from in the motor or the starter itself? Does it repeat every time you attempt to start it, or was it just the once?

-Bill

It sounds like something in the motor locked up, better inventory all your tools and all the parts you swapped out, if something is missing...:-\

Then you might want to invest in one of those pen microscope dealios, easier to look through the spark plug hole to check rather than tearin the heads off.

-Bill

I was just searching for that, what happened when you hydrolocked your XT6?

You mentioned the car didnt turn over at all?? Maybe you hydrolocked it by accident from the intake manifold?

I hydrolocked my XT6 and it was the most aweful noise.

Just a thought

Mine hydrolocker from a leaky intake manifold gasket..just pulled the plugs and cranked it then...shot coolant 20-30 feet across the road

It was actually quite amusing

You can remove the plugs and see the water in there.. that way you know what side it came from.

fixed the gasket..added coolant and new plugs ..and fired up and ran fine

the coolant gets trapped on top of the piston..and when you try and crank ..the water cant compress and it locks the motor..thus making the horrible sound.

I have heard one or two others doing the same after a weber swap. Cant remember who though...but it doesnt do any damage..and I only changed the plugs cause they were old anyway

Here it is, with a camera phone:

IMG_0234.jpg

Here's my solution to the ASV:

IMG_0238.jpg

:lol:

Still trying to figure out what to do with these :

Vaccum Switch I & II

IMG_0237.jpg

Also have to connect the choke wire, return spring, and route the crankcase breather hoses a little better.

I'd be a lot happier if she'd fire up, but at least it's turing over.

It's only me and my boy right now, so not much time to tinker.

Nice Job! ... Well Done!

...Still trying to figure out what to do with these : Vaccum Switch I & II ...

Well, I Suggest you to Cap each Vacuum that will be no longer Needed, and Disconnect the Wires from those Switch... All those are Emmisions things... I Removed everything in my Weberized Wagon, it also makes it Look Cleaner!

I Suggest you to Cap each Vacuum that will be no longer Needed... I Removed everything in my Weberized Wagon, it also makes it Look Cleaner!

I'm finding it hard to determine what needs to be capped off, if those are both emissions related, then out they go.

There is TOO much information on the weber swap, and the how to links are dead. :dead:

Thank You! :)

You can Try a "Oil Catch Can" if you want to Route the Heads` 5/8" Hoses along to the PCV, to avoid Blown oil from being Sucked by the intake or Carb.

My Weberized Wagon have the PCV Appart with its own 5/8" Filter, and Both Heads` Hoses are Routed to a "T", its open end goes to the Carb, Doing that, Blown oil Goes from one Head to the Other one, letting just the Fumes going to the Carb... But I am Considering to use a Catch Can in the Future. See: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92384

Good Luck! :burnout: