Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not strange, you have a burned out or shorted bulb someplace. The flasher uses the resistance of the bulbs to help time it. When one bulb goes out, it flahses faster. On older ones they are bi-metalic strips, so a burned out bulb wouldnt allow the strip to heat up enough and it would stay on. Remove bulbs and check them physiclly, especially the dual filament bulbs.

nipper

I had the same thing happen on my 99 Leggies OBW in the front. I took out the turn signal bulb, found the base coated with electrical vasoline. I cleaned it up, or put in a new bulb, (can't remember which) and that fixed the problem. The front lens slides out after screws are removed. It is kind of a wierd way to affix the lens, but it works.

<<Hi folks. The left directional on my '99 Outback is oscillating at about twice the normal rate. I don't see any burned out bulbs.Anybody know what the problem might be? Thanks!>>

look for your turn signal relay. its under the dash, possibly above where your left leg would be. another spot it could be is on your engine fuse box under the hood, left side near battery. should be a black plastic assembly, 1-2 inches square or a metal round one like this:

post-238-136027629956_thumb.jpg

post-238-136027629959_thumb.jpg

Edited by svxpert

This sounds so familiar! My wife's 97 Lexus ES300 (and Camry's as well) would do exactly the same thing, regular as clock work and about every 9 months. Toyota/Lexus techs had a factory TSB that explained how diminished contact between the turn signal bulb and the bulb socket was the culprit. If a front or rear turn signal bulb developed this, it would build up enough resistance to double the turn signal flash rate on that one side of the car. During that Toyota/Lexus model year, the factory used thin metal strips that were bent into an "S" shape (when viewed from the side) as the spring contact in the bulb sockets of the turn signal bulbs. When the metal fatigued and developed less spring, the electrical resistance went up causing the doubled flash rate. All I ever did was to restretch the two contacts in the front left turn signal bulb socket of her car, and the flash rate returned to normal for about another 9 months. The Toyota factory TSB suggested cutting off the offending bulb socket and wiring in a replacement. The design was apparently changed the following model year.

Just thought I'd let folks know what the solution was...

I got a replacement bulb and pulled the directional assembly from the car. I could see that the old bulb (which does have 2 filaments) was still good - nothing was burned out. As I was inspecting things, I noticed the light would get bright or dim as I moved the bulb around, so the problem is with the wiring or connector.