Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy Outback starting problems

Hi, I'm a new Subaru owner - I bought my Outback this summer - and I really love the thing! But recently I've noticed as the weather gets colder it's not starting like it normally does. It seems that, at almost at random, it will just 'click' when I turn the key, but if I wait a minute or 2 and try it again it'll start up. It usually happens first thing in the morning, but today It happened every time I've tried to start it, and the last time this morning I had to try it about 4 times for it to fire up like normal. I don't know what it could be, the power doesn't go off inside the car during this time, so I don't know if it's the battery or not.

It's making me a bit nervous, but before I just go and replace the battery I was wondering if anyone knows how to address this problem? It's a 2.5L with about 141Km, was supposedly serviced by the dealership for the ten years before I bought it.

Thanks muchly!

First check the battery voltage (12.5 volts) and charging voltage (around 14 volts) with a multimeter before doing anything else.

Your symptoms could also point to defective starter solenoid contacts. If the battery and alt voltages are ok, make a search here for «solenoïd contacts». Open the hood and figure out if the starter solenoïd is clicking when attempting to start. If so, it's the solenoïd contacts.

You could replace them or buy a rebuilt starter.

I recently had this problem with my Subaru.

I replaced the Starter as my old one was toast.

Replaced the battery (didnt work)

Replaced Starter Soleniod (didnt work)

Then after fiddling around with a few things i replaced the power wire to the Starter (9$) and bang it starts up like its new! Id get a good cold cranking amp battery if i were you anyways.