Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

appreciate any thoughts on this...

I have a 93 legacy. it has massive miles on it, been used heavily in michigan, colorado and all over.

for a few months my front passenger side wheel has been clicking. the cv boot was ripped so i assumed it was going bad. i let it go.

now suddenlt i have massive grinding and i cant tell if its from tran or from that cv joint/axle.

I have been reading other posts here about such issues and learned lots. Now my car is doing what the previous length trans chat was about. My car will roll in park. rev and not drive at at times etc.

i am wondering of the tran is ruined or maybe it is the cv/axle broken off as Nipper suggested in the other discussion?

also: i notice that my brakes are spongy, does brake fluid service the clutch?

thanks for any input on this.

Steve in Denver

Suggest the first thing you do is to replace the half shaft as soon as possible before you suffer a major break down. The clicking and grinding says that the CV joint bearing is shot.

Brakes and clutch are two separate systems. Check your brake fluid level. It may be low, and may have sucked some air into the system to cause spongy feel. Suggest you bleed the brakes extensively to get the air out. Also, check your brake pads to see if they need replacing.