Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My BRAT is stuck in a 5 foot drift

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better put in the garage and get some type of heat going. Dont want it being a snow soob for 2 long.

all i have is a small space heater, 2 of them. with the temps the way they are, that would never get it above freezing in there.......i dunno, but you are right i should get it thawed and dried asap. tuesday high may get to 28...that might be the first chance. then 19 then 22 then maybe friday 41 and rain yay...:) btw my garage has a floor drain so it can thaw and drain away the snow

Edited by bheinen74

I had one of the "turbo" blower heaters (propane) and I've not used it since I went to a convection style heater ...

http://www.ag-trac.com/BTUReddyHeater.jpg

I needed my garage for doing some large quantity woodwork finishing in the winter, but couldn't have the massive air movement of the blower style.

I got one probably larger than needed for my garage, but I love it. I had it up to almost 90 deg in there :)

I had one of the "turbo" blower heaters (propane) and I've not used it since I went to a convection style heater ...

http://www.ag-trac.com/BTUReddyHeater.jpg

I needed my garage for doing some large quantity woodwork finishing in the winter, but couldn't have the massive air movement of the blower style.

I got one probably larger than needed for my garage, but I love it. I had it up to almost 90 deg in there :)

Hey Brent

BTUReddyHeater.jpg

Perfect.

i might go see the cost on them today at lunch at Theisens. get the price, then see if i can find it cheaper online.

I think i should defrost the BRAT soon. and maybe even get to the clutch if i can get it warm in the garage. will keep everyone posted. I have paid time off from work wednesday the 24 thru Jan 2 so i have the time.......

Its in my garage defrosted. I loosened up the clutch adjustment yesterday, and it was able to grip about 4000 rpm, so i got in in the garage, had a little trouble getting over the drift near the garage door, that was it for the clutch. thats all she wrote. Brat will sit there for now. Is it easier to just drop the tranny out to change the clutch? I think with the lift kit, since the tranny is already down low, it would be easiest to drop it down than to pull the motor. My dad has a transmission jack also so i can borrow it. now will be the time to install the front seals on the tranny i bought last summer.

subiemech85.......is your inbox cleaned out yet.

Having done both, i'd say that it depends on the tools you have access to.

If you have a picker, pull the motor, definately easier.

Set the engine in a 5 gallon bucket and go to town.

Having a GOOD tranny jack, it's no sweat either,

as long as you can get the car really high (like 2 feet) off the ground.

Damned if you do/don't kind of scenario:)

does the exhaust have to come loose via drop the tranny method?

I really think i would rather jack the car up high on jackstands, and do this via dropping the tranny. unhook axles, remove speedo thread, undo driveshaft, remove tranny with the transmission jack.

Engine out method involves draining coolant, undoing all vacuum lines, gas lines, AC stuff, electrical, exhaust, etc.

I think it will be quicker to drop the tranny.

Its in my garage defrosted. Brat will sit there for now. Is it not easier to just drop the tranny out to change the clutch! I think with the lift kit, since the tranny is already down low, it would be easiest to pull the motor. now may not be the time to install the front seals on the tranny

subiemech85....... inbox is cleaned out.

re-read ^

which seals are leaking?

I'd yank the engine because you won't have the car dripping on your face and you can check/change the rear main seal and front of the motor stuff more easily. I have 2-pc hydraulic elbows on the heater coolant and fuel lines, though, and a drain valve w/ nipple on the radiator and on the oil pan :cool:

You can check/change the coolant if it's been a while, too. I like to clean out the worst of the gunk in the engine bay, too.

I'd yank the engine because you won't have the car dripping on your face and you can check/change the rear main seal and front of the motor stuff more easily. I have 2-pc hydraulic elbows on the heater coolant and fuel lines, though, and a drain valve w/ nipple on the radiator and on the oil pan :cool:

You can check/change the coolant if it's been a while, too. I like to clean out the worst of the gunk in the engine bay, too.

+1, not a bad idea, It would be a good opportunity to really check the motor over, and you could still replace the tranny seals pretty easily by removing the axles from the tranny end.