Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback tranny really need help

ok so i was fighting with this car for the last two days i lost hours at my job so im doing odd jobs so i have some money to keep a litltle gas in my car and try and pay bills.

i got the old tranny out and the new tranny in the T/C is set i have made shure of this but after i tighten the bell housing bolts i turn the motor over by hand (2.5 DOHC) and it is extreamly stiff like its stuck or something.

but if i loosen the bell housing bolts the case will seperate about enough to get a playing card to slip between and everythign turns fine ???? what is wrong i really need the money from this job for christmas i agreed to swap in the used tranny for the guy but its in and i went by the book and its not working ???

could it be the wrong tranny ? its the 4eat car is a 97 legacy outback. guy got tranny from a wrecking yard everyhitng on the trannys is identicle exept for on the used one there is a plug by the tail shaft that isnt on the old one.

idk i just need some help sorry if everything is a bit slopy but im tired and i smashed my had lifting the tranny in :( any help is much apriciated.

merry christmas happy holidays Rob

Edited by subaruguru

i had this happen once in the multiple times i installed the trans in my impreza, everything seemed right but there was pressure on the flexplate after bolting it together.

i just pulled the motor and started over. i still don't know what it was but everything went in nicely on the second try.

good luck, man. a lot of us are in the same boat - i'm trying to do sidework when i have time to make ends meet cuz unemployment barely covers my rent...

Sounds like the TC isn't seated properly. It should spin freely w/the engine/tranny bolts connected - (not the TC/flex plate bolts).

Check this post:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81925&highlight=seat+torque+converter

Also, check the model number on the tranny to compare, and search on here for info.

Remember! The diff ratios- front and rear must match. The OB AT is 4.44; regular Legacys are 4.11. You can swap these, but you'll also need to swap the rear diff.

Don't know what the plug in the tail shaft is for.

Good luck.

TC is not in the last 1/4". If it's all the way engaged, you should pull it forward about an1/8" or so when you install the bolts into the flex plate.

Don't start it this way, it will trash the trans!

Sorry, but as far a I know you have to drop it back out to fix this. You may be able to get it in the last notch by unbolting it and sliding it back to the end of the studs, that should give you enough room to work it in IF YOUR LUCKY

ok so i was fighting with this car for the last two days i lost hours at my job so im doing odd jobs so i have some money to keep a litltle gas in my car and try and pay bills.

i got the old tranny out and the new tranny in the T/C is set i have made shure of this but after i tighten the bell housing bolts i turn the motor over by hand (2.5 DOHC) and it is extreamly stiff like its stuck or something.

but if i loosen the bell housing bolts the case will seperate about enough to get a playing card to slip between and everythign turns fine ???? what is wrong i really need the money from this job for christmas i agreed to swap in the used tranny for the guy but its in and i went by the book and its not working ???

could it be the wrong tranny ? its the 4eat car is a 97 legacy outback. guy got tranny from a wrecking yard everyhitng on the trannys is identicle exept for on the used one there is a plug by the tail shaft that isnt on the old one.

idk i just need some help sorry if everything is a bit slopy but im tired and i smashed my had lifting the tranny in :( any help is much apriciated.

merry christmas happy holidays Rob

It sounds to me like the TC is not all the way set. That last little bit is what is binding you up, is my guess at this. it seems to me that you need to pull the tranny free and spin the TC in both directions while pushing lightly, and feel for that last little "chunk" that tells you that you are finally all the way in.

• 3 years later...
tc in my opinion not seated...pull it out and start over. the tc should not be touching the flexplate with the bell housing seated. If it is you must start over.

HI,

Please check the DATE on the post; this is 3+years old. Usually anything more than a couple weeks old is no longer active.

TD