Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thread to post what the bitter cold has broken or left you stranded

Thought I would start this thread so we can accumulate the problems we have experienced due to the bitter cold, all in one thread. like, accidents, no heat, wheels falling off etc. Hope this is okay to start a thread like this.

my problem: Got Brat stuck in a snow bank, and burned the clutch up trying to get out.

I killed the power steering belt on my old tractor this weekend -- fluid was so thick due to the cold that the pump wouldn't turn, so when I finally got the engine to start, the belt just shredded. :( So now, I can only drive in straight lines... not so useful :dead:

No subaru issues yet (knock on wood).

Posted from my thread in new gen:

So its 5 degrees here this morning and I go out to start my RS and the thing barely will turn over, it starts finally but not like it wants to. Is this the sign of a weak/cheap battery?

What do you guys do about our doors getting froze to where they won't open? I had to go in passenger side and tore the bottom weather stripping off in the process and had to pop it back in.

first day i bought my 92 loyale, drove it home 300 miles, next day my girl drove it to work, hit a nice big 2004 silverado, axed my AC (who cares) radiator, hood, bumper fender headlight etc. got it pulled 85% of original, hood now held on with a guitar hero strap :grin:

then the bypass hose to the heater went 3 days back on the road, fixed it, forgot to put rear bolt back on ac compressor.

two more weeks alt goes.

when i put the new belts on i tightend them up and PS and ac pulleys rub ^^ due to my previous idiocy.

now i have a mystery drain thats smoking my charge after 2-3 hours of sitting (weird click coming from auto seat belts)

then today im 90% i smoked an axle will know for sure tommorow

---- I Will NOT give up on this car!!!

Chad my brother in law hit a curb while having some fun, bent the LR trailing arm and wheel at about a 45 deg angel, LR wheel, LF wheel, and radius arm, and that was it for him, I've gone through 2 LF motor mounts, pulling people out, that about it for me, last year I blew a freeze plug in my GL10 Wagon.

Jeff

My brakes are icing up after driving in deep snow limiting my braking ability... not sure if all cars do this or unique to Subies... course I never drove cars nor took them to places like I do these!

Also, after it sits it freezes solid so I have to take it out of 4x4 and pop the clutch to get them to brake loose...... figure it's just what these cars do?

My brakes are icing up after driving in deep snow limiting my braking ability... not sure if all cars do this or unique to Subies... course I never drove cars nor took them to places like I do these!

Also, after it sits it freezes solid so I have to take it out of 4x4 and pop the clutch to get them to brake loose...... figure it's just what these cars do?

Well my car just freezes in place in general. :)

Probably expected with minus degrees.

-Jaren

The last time we had a massive freeze spell my thermastat froze up and now its sticking. Ive developed a massive oil leak from somewhere on the left side of the engine, im thinking valve cover. My coolant leak has gotten progressively worse. So now guido resides inside my rented garage with a blanket over his motor to help keep him warm.

I'll play.

I slid my Brat into a curb when I hit some ice and destroyed my rim, messed up my steering rack, bent the control arm mounts on my engine cross member, bent my control arm, bent my tie rod, separated my ball joint and broke the axle (all the stuff you'd expect to break). I was still able to make it home with a good control arm and a couple of tie down straps though. :banana:

Any vehicle driven in really deep snow will generally pack up and freeze to some extent.... doesn't happen to most cars because they get stuck before they get into snow that deep :grin:

Let's see. I took a 481 mile trip from central wisconsin to Alpena Michigan (off of thunder bay) via U.P. MI last tuesday. I already know hildie burns a little oil. So i dumped a quart in when i crossed the border.

When I left my grandmas house on thursday (intended on leaving weds, had to work thurs, but got snowed in) My wipers had frozen along with window was pump. And I had the tick of death. I only had one more quart of oil with me so I checked the oil and dumped that quart in too. thankfully it quit.

About an hour out of Alpena I hit a phesant which BROKE my right wiper. I could literally hear the poor thing hitting each rung of the roof rack. Wipers still werent working but i managed to jimmy the right one. But without washers workin i had to stop everytime i ended up behind someone because of the muddy salt crap that got sprayed on the windshield. :horse::mad:

plus side is i was only an hour and a half late for work!:lol:

What do you guys do about our doors getting froze to where they won't open? I had to go in passenger side and tore the bottom weather stripping off in the process and had to pop it back in.

i have the same problem with my outback

only i have to climb in through the back

sometimes my key wont turn in the door to open as well

yah any info on this freeze problem would be awesome

i have the same problem with my outback

only i have to climb in through the back

sometimes my key wont turn in the door to open as well

yah any info on this freeze problem would be awesome

The solution is to not get rid of drip rails -- my '76 truck has drip rails over the doors, so the water doesn't run into the gasket and freeze it shut. Virtually every vehicle made after about 1980 has this problem.

Of course, the lock on the passenger door of my truck froze, so I can't open the door anyway. :confused::lol:

I wonder if you could get some wax or silicon or something for the rubber that would keep it from sticking even if freezing water did get in there?

My ignition is a little flaky on the '86 BRAt, so Tim installed a push button start. It was so cold the other morning, the button broke after it started. I drove to the gas station and the car wouldn't shut off. I started to drive home and got about a block away when I lost power, no lights, dash, radio etc. I smelled smoke, yikes!

I pulled over and purposely stalled her to shut her off. I pulled the hood latch and grabbed the fire extinguisher. I could see smoke at this point while I raised the hood. The tire was in the way but I could see where the smoke was coming from, so I shot it under the tire. I got it out and good thing because it was so cold, it only gave me one blast.

Apparently, when the button broke, the car stayed in the start position and the starter was running continuously.

My battery is smoked.

So its 5 degrees here this morning and I go out to start my RS and the thing barely will turn over, it starts finally but not like it wants to. Is this the sign of a weak/cheap battery?

Things that help in cold weather:

1. Battery older than 4-5 years? Get a new one. (flooded cell lead acid batteries are at end of life (I think it was 70% of rated capacity) in 5 years under ideal conditions.) (ideal conditions have little to do with those found under the hood of a car)

2. Get the physically biggest battery that will fit in the battery area. A battery at 0 degrees F is about 1/4 of what it was at room temperature.

3. Higher age and lower temperature work together against you in cold weather.

4. Synthetic oil in engine.

5. A battery warmer might be worth considering if you are thinking about or using a block heater. I would do 1,2 & 4 first.

6. Silicon spray on the door gaskets & body where they touch when closed.

7. If the locks freeze, there is a lock lube available at parts stores.

8. Sometimes, it is the levers & linkage in the door. Remove the interior and clean & lube with synthetic grease / oil.

Took my new(to me):rolleyes: 93 loyale 4wd on it's first voyage yesterday. Stopped to get some windshield fluid and didn't latch down the hood all the way. Got up to 55 on the highway and WHAMO. Luckily my windshield didn't crack, the hood is toast. My own stupidity and the cold are to blame.