Ultimate Subaru Message Board

try disconnecting the speedo cable on the top pass side of the front diff and spinning it with a drill to see if the speedo reacts.

there's a black cable with a black boot on a large metal fitting sticking up from the trans to the front of the diff oil dipstick (front passenger side right behind bellhousing). slide the boot up, remove the clip (find the side that's split and pull it horizontally from the other side. don't loose or mangle it), then slide the cable up out of the metal fitting. without pulling on the cable, put a drill on the square shank (don't tighten the chuck enough to damage it, just enough that it doesn't slip) and see if the speedo needle moves while spinning the cable - you'll need a helper.

if it does, the problem is likely in the front diff section of the trans. if it doesn't the problem is either the cable or the speedo head. you can pull the cable out of the sleeve to check for breakage.

and like nipper said, the odd shifting is because of the speed sensor (number 2, no speedo wouldn't necessarily mean vss1 isn't working) - without it's input the tcm gets wacky.

I agree with Nipper, this car should have the

electronic Hall effect speed sensor.

I do doubt that both VSS#2 and VSS#1

are both bad though.

VSS#2

This sensor location is on the forward pass side of the diff

and is shown in the beow picture as

"mine is located here".

Note: VSS#2 (the one that drives the speedometer)

has been removed in this picture.

Here is what it looks like removed

VSS.jpg

The other location (finger point) is for the manual transmission.

I removed the drive, fit it into a corless drill

and turned the VSS.

The speedometer in my case worked.

My gear in the diff is stripped, hope this is not your problem.

VSSlocations.jpg

Hope this helps and

Happy "Holly Daze"

actually guys that has happened to me with one my legacies.. its a bad front VSS... it will make the trans shift erratically and speedo not work... change that sensor and you'll be ok... take a look at the picture that skip has posted and change that sensor, the VSS2...

good luck

Neo