Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 GL-10 Left for Dead - Help Identify Donor Transmission (pg4)

VWIan

First off, I am into aircooled Volkswagens. This is my first automatic transmission car, and my first Subaru.

Whelp, as the story goes I got this car cheap, and I mean, CHEAP! I picked it up at an impound auction with brand new tires and a brand new exhaust system. First thing is the car had a tow notice for being parked too long, so I knew something was wrong, otherwise it wouldn't have sat. It starts right up and runs pretty good, but not good enough, that is secondary.

My friend pointed out a vacuum hose that I should replace that was leaking pretty bad, so I put some duct-tape over the hole for now. The car is an automatic and is having a crazy problem. When I decelerate without using the brakes, the car jerks two or three times and then locks the wheels and skids to a stop. If I instantly hit the brakes to slow the car instead of letting off the gas pedal and letting it slow, it won't jerk to a stop. If I have it in 4wd it locks all four. I thought it was the torque converter at first but my friend checked it out and said it might be the planetary gear set inside of the transmission; a torque converter going bad would do different things he said. I was reading on here and read it might be some vacuum lines/hoses off the transmission. Where are these lines?

The car has a really clean interior and body and all the accessories, and only 90k miles. I would like to drive it and use it, but if I have to pass it on I will. I'm hoping it's something simple like vacuum hoses and not a whole transmission. I should be able to find a transmission if it is bad, however, as there are plenty of Subarus in Colorado.

Let me know what you think, it's hard to explain the problem, I know, but I hope your experience in Subarus will provide more insight.

P.S. I'm in Denver, Colorado if anyone wants to help I will buy you beer/pizza/lunch/wings whatever.

dec08052.jpg

dec08054.jpg

dec08060.jpg

dec08069.jpg

THANKS!

Edited by VWIan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the center diff is about to go out. Check the dipstick, it on the passenger side of the tranny. Kind of next to the turbo.

Checked it. That's part of the checklist at the auctions, since you can't start/drive the cars, you check all the fluids.

The transmission fluid is fresh, clean, and bright orange. The antifreeze is fresh, clean, and bright green. The oil is amber in color, not black. All of the fluids are where they should be on the dipstick, full or 1/2 way, not empty. Someone at the auction commented the transmission might be locked up. How would they have been able to tell? The shifter moves without pushing the button to shift, the red button works for the 4wd.

I scoped the car real hard so ask me questions and I should be able to answer without going back to check the car out.

THANKS

I used to be an air cooled VW nut myself..my baby was my 65 Ghia convert.

anyway..not sure whats wrong with it but it would be worth doing a spd swap...or just send it to me...I would happily give it a good home...been looking for a clean white wagon for a few years now

Welcome to the board! That is not a bad looking wagon either. I believe yours has the 3AT transmission in it, which in itself is known to have its' share of problems. Also I am going to be the first to warn you about the EA82T's. They are infamous for blowing headgaskets as the cooling system is very inefficient in these cars. If keeping it for awhile it is suggested to upgrade to a better radiator.

What is the wad of electrical connectors next to your windshield wiper motor?

Nice vanagon in the background. Remember every air cooled VW dreams of a Subaru motor swap.

I wonder if it could be a bad center section as well. When it was towed for being parked to long, I wonder if instead of flatbed towing it, like a 4x4/awd subaru should, they towed it by the front wheels, leaving the rear wheels to spin, and do something.. I honestly dont know much about the awd system of the Subaru, but I know in my Pontiac, if towed without all 4 wheels being off the ground, it will toasty fry the tranny.

I used to be an air cooled VW nut myself..my baby was my 65 Ghia convert.

anyway..not sure whats wrong with it but it would be worth doing a spd swap...or just send it to me...I would happily give it a good home...been looking for a clean white wagon for a few years now

Ghia 'vert is $$$. There is a rusted out heap of one for $2k around here.

How hard is doing a 5spd swap? Believe me, that was the first thing I thought about. Are the bodies the same, holes filled for the clutch, I just punch out a few plugs?

My last project was a Corrado, so I'm used to automotive hell. I built one car out of two...rewired the whole car, new motor with a used transmission, rebuilt the CV's, went through all four brakes...you name it I did it on that car.

Wanna buy it?

Edited by VWIan

Welcome to the board! That is not a bad looking wagon either. I believe yours has the 3AT transmission in it, which in itself is known to have its' share of problems. Also I am going to be the first to warn you about the EA82T's. They are infamous for blowing headgaskets as the cooling system is very inefficient in these cars. If keeping it for awhile it is suggested to upgrade to a better radiator.

What is the wad of electrical connectors next to your windshield wiper motor?

Nice vanagon in the background. Remember every air cooled VW dreams of a Subaru motor swap.

The cluster of wires, I was told by a friend who is a Subaru tech (or knows a lot about them), is for diagnoses. There are a couple connectors left unconnected at each strut tower and they were for the height adjusting suspension which has been removed and replaced with standard struts (an improvement I hope).

I will put a bigger radiator in it if it's just a swap from a different model.

The 'vanagon' is my 1962 SingleCab Transporter with 54k original miles.

THANKS

Edited by VWIan

I wonder if it could be a bad center section as well. When it was towed for being parked to long, I wonder if instead of flatbed towing it, like a 4x4/awd subaru should, they towed it by the front wheels, leaving the rear wheels to spin, and do something.. I honestly dont know much about the awd system of the Subaru, but I know in my Pontiac, if towed without all 4 wheels being off the ground, it will toasty fry the tranny.

Aw crap...who knows if they put it on a flatbed or not....

Ghia 'vert is $$$. There is a rusted out heap of one for $2k around here.

How hard is doing a 5spd swap? Believe me, that was the first thing I thought about. Are the bodies the same, holes filled for the clutch, I just punch out a few plugs?

My last project was a Corrado, so I'm used to automotive hell. I built one car out of two...rewired the whole car, new motor with a used transmission, rebuilt the CV's, went through all four brakes...you name it I did it on that car.

Wanna buy it?

I wish I still had my Ghia..it was a great car...I did the Porche swap with it...back in the day..it was the thing to do ..direct bolt up. Used a 914 motor.

The 5 spd swap is easy really..best would be to pull a D/R tranny from an 88 or 89.. and then its just the pedal box and the cables...its done frequently on this board and I think there is a step by step write up on the repair manual section.

Like Durania said...the EA82T can be very picky..if taken care of its good..but they do tend to like blowing thier cool.

Dual Range...Hi Lo tranny 88 and 89s GLs usually have it..some 87s..yup ..the one in the add is what you want

I couldn't find an article in the repair manual section?

Do you have a link?

What else will I need, shifter, linkage, pedal assembly, clutch cable...

The 4wd transfer clutch is just a regular fluid type clutch pack that is activated in the valvebody by a solenoid or something like that. It causes the fluid to build up pressure from the pump to engage it.

What it sounds like to me is the front diff is going out. The other thought is the ATF and the gear oil for the front diff have exchanged which is why the tranny fluid looks new (replaced when it was noticed it was mixing) which thins out the gear oil and frys the front diff bearings. I would agree, 5 speed swap is the best idea and its super east with the 3AT automatic tranny. You just need to remember to jumper the neutral safety switch for it to start which is located in the connector for the shifter inside the car. If you have cruise control, wire in a toggle switch and switch it off when you go on a long drive down the freeway where cruise would be nessessary and the cruise will work like it would if the automatic was still in it.

they are nice when well cared for :banana:

usually the ea82t goes bad due to operator error :dead:

swap in a manual tras or 4eat

if you go for the manual trans swap, you will also need the matching front drive shaft, as there is 120mm difference in length :eek:

please post more pics of the digidash

I have a nice '86 gl10 crust brown 5spd 4wd, with digidash

I had to swap in a ea81 to replace the ea82t the previous owner left water in the block and froze :mad:

After a re-read I see its a auto tranny.

It will have two dipsticks for the tranny. The one in front is for the diff, the one behind it is for the ATF. Alot of times the seal that separates the diff from the tranny fails and fills the diff with ATF.

Also, if this is a 3spd AT, its junk and should be pulled and sold for scrap.

If it was flat towed, the tranny is shot, but I dont think it would effect the front diff.

Edited by Turbone
schpelling

Sorry to tell you mate, but Caboo and Turbone

have hit the wood holder on the cranium

I had the exact same thing happen to my GL-10

Hard to explain I know.

Almost bit the steering wheel first time it happened.

Seat belts are great.

I did find if you always keep the front wheels

driving (left foot on the brake, right on the gas slightly)

The car will move.

The front diff pinion bearing goes bad, this in turn takes out the seal

between the tranny and the diff.

(bet you can smell gear oil on the tranny dipstick)

The bearing allows the pinion to shift into a position

where it locks with the bevel gear.

Thus the forward drive keeps it in a position where it will not lock.

3AT trannys are not even fit as a sea anchor.

5 speed DR swap (pedal box is easier with the streering

col. removed.) as all say is the ticket.

If you could find an RX (hen's tooth) tranny it would be even more phun.

PS a member "Davebugs" is a serious air cooled Vdube phreak

His collection is astounding.

Here are more pictures. I will start a build thread as soon as I start taking sh*t apart.

dec08053.jpg

dec08056.jpg

dec08062.jpg

dec08063.jpg

dec08065.jpg

dec08066.jpg

dec08067.jpg

dec08068.jpg

dec08075.jpg

The digi-dash is nuts. It's like Doc's ol' Delorean. Bad-A$$

I think it's uber clean, and uber luxurious compared to any of my other cars; power locks/windows/mirrors, rear wiper/washer, damn this thing is fancy!

Edited by VWIan

Yes, WINGS! I love the nuclear ones.

I'm going to hit ALL the junkyards in Aurora, Brighton, and Englewood today to see if they have an applicable car for the 5spd swap parts. I'll bring my camera I know this one pull n pay in Aurora is chock full of Subarus.