Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 GL-10 Left for Dead - Help Identify Donor Transmission (pg4)

VWIan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pic of the rear bumper is not a good sign.

See how its melted around the exhaust tip?

Bad juju there :-\

It means the engine was run hard till it got hot enough to melt plastic.

My RX was like that when I bought it. When I pulled the engine it had a hole in the top of the block. Not saying you will find that on yours, but I can about guarantee the head gaskets are toast.

Another thing, the temp gauges on the old digi dashes suck. Try and get a aftermarket gauge installed or use a infra red temp reader to keep a eye on the temps.

I think the melt in the rear bumper is from a previous bogus exhaust, like when the ricers melt their bumpers with fart cans...:lol:

Anyway, I scoured the junkyard today, JACKPOT

Please help identify the type of transmission that will bolt up. I was reading another thread and found this chart.

Gear%20ratios.JPG

Can I use a transmission from a non-turbo car on my car, I believe it was stated I need one from an 85-89 GL. I found two of the same cars as mine, one is an automatic with 200k and one is a 5speed with 200k. The style of shifter in the 5speed is the same as other GL's I found, shifter with a push button on top for 4wd. There is another style which looks like it may work which was mentioned as a Dual-Range. This style I found in cars without a turbo. I also found a Subaru XT which is a 5speed, and has the button on top of the shifter. Please let me know which would be best, I am hoping the D/R one's I found would be able to be adapted, although it will come from a car without a turbo.

You can see more pictures at my photobucket album, password is subaru

subarus001.jpg

subarus004.jpg

subarus006.jpg

subarus024.jpg

subarus030.jpg

subarus034.jpg

subarus042.jpg

subarus047.jpg

subarus055.jpg

subarus057.jpg

subarus064.jpg

subarus077.jpg

subarus080.jpg

subarus084.jpg

subarus088.jpg

subarus089.jpg

subarus093.jpg

subarus096.jpg

subarus105.jpg

Bunch more pics here I think I found over 50 'Roos in the junkyards and I have over 100 pictures of the cars, password is subaru:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v449/66Kombi/subaru/?start=0

I think the two versions are the EA82 S2 and the EA82 SL. My engine is an EA82T, right?

Edited by VWIan

Yes, its a EA82T.

If you got the last one on your list, you will also need to swap axles.

A non turbo 5spd D/R will bolt up and you can still use your current axles.

The AT has 23 splines, the 5spd is 25 splines (turbo).

Dont use a 4spd.

Get the latest model 5spd D/R range with the lowest miles if possible.

Also, if you get the non turbo 5spd, you will need to change the rear diff to match ratio's. The turbo tranny is 3.7, the non turbo is 3.9.

Then you lose the LSD rear diff, if you have one. The tag on the cover will tell you if it is. Also, the turbo 5spd D/R will have a diff lock.

If there is that many late 80's Subaru's in that yard, I would be checking the rear diff's on all the turbo's. The LSD rear diff is getting harder to find and so are the 5spd D/R turbo trannies.

Also, the wagon you show in last frames is a Legacy and the tranny wont work with your car.

Physically, any of those transmissions in the table will bolt up to the EA82T.

However... you probably only want to get the dual range 5MT ones. The non-turbo one has a much lower low range, which is usually better. However, like Turbone said you will have to put a 3.9 rear diff from a non-turbo car in there.

The turbo 5 speed from the XT would be an easier swap, and allow keeping the LSD rear diff (but requiring the different axles). It doesn't have as low a low range though. But what it does have is full time all wheel drive -- the non-turbo 5 speed is 2wd/4wd. Depends on whether you want the all wheel drive, or the lower crawling gear more.

The 4 speeds, even the dual ranges, were kind of problematic (well... only if you liked 3rd gear)

The Legacy transmission won't bolt up (without adaptors -- people do it the other way round a bit -- bolting the legacy engine to the D/R 5 speed in older cars (or putting the D/R 5 speed in newer cars)

Edited by zyewdall

The pictures aren't in any particular order, and the last Legacy was just the newest 'Roo, just wanted to show what I have available to me. Please see all the pictures in my photobucket album, I have pics of the shifters and the odometers.

To sum up, here are my findings.

3 turbo cars, all "push button" on top of the shifter or on the side to switch to AWD. One is an 87 GL-10 5speed (~200k) exact same car but 5speed, one is an 86 GL-10 Automatic (~200k) exact same car as mine, and one is the 86 XT which is a 5speed. None of them are turbo AND dual range (must be rare).

All the rest are non-turbo but they have the dual range 5speed transmissions. I want the dual range because I live in Colorado and it would be fun if my car had real 4wd.

I ignored the 4speeds and only found a couple. I might have pics of the full cars in my album, but not of the interiors.

How will the tag tell me if the rear differential has limited-slip? Will it say "LSD" or will it just be another E82XYZ number that I have to decipher? I will check all the turbos; mine, the junkyard auto and the 5speed, and the XT for LSD rear ends.

Say I pull a 5speed dual range from one of these cars. The latest one I found was a 1992 GL. Build date of 12/92.

List of needed parts:

Transmission, shifters and interior trim, pedal cluster, driveshaft, rear differential

Did I forget any parts? The axles are the same right? I got a bit confused...

Do I need any special tools? Triple-square or allen drive for the CV joint bolts?

I am very grateful that I have a heated garage this winter so the worst will be pulling this stuff in the mud in the junkyard.

THANKS!

Edited by VWIan

All the rest are non-turbo but they have the dual range 5speed transmissions. I want the dual range because I live in Colorado and it would be fun if my car had real 4wd.

How will the tag tell me if the rear differential has limited-slip? Will it say "LSD" or will it just be another E82XYZ number that I have to decipher? I will check all the turbos; mine, the junkyard auto and the 5speed, and the XT for LSD rear ends.

Say I pull a 5speed dual range from one of these cars. The latest one I found was a 1992 GL. Build date of 12/92.

Yes, the dual range is nice. Real 4wd (locked center), and while it's not a great crawling gear compared to jeeps or yodas, it's way better than any other car has and you'll surprise people with where you can get it.

I think the differential will have a tag that says LSD on it.

'89 was the last year for the dual range 5 speed, and was the last year for the GL's. In 90 they renamed the DL the Loyale, and discontinued the GL. None of them got the dual range any more. So... if you found a dual range in a '92... someones already been doing some swapping.

3 turbo cars, all "push button" on top of the shifter or on the side to switch to AWD. One is an 87 GL-10 5speed (~200k) exact same car but 5speed, and one is the 86 XT which is a 5speed. turbo AND dual range is rare, good chance of finding it in '85 gl-10 turbo sedan with lsd

All the rest are non-turbo but they have the dual range 5speed transmissions. I want the dual range because I live in Colorado and it would be fun if my car had real 4wd. pb is real 4x4, no low

I ignored the 4speeds and only found a couple. be sure to ignore the "early" style 4wd selector lever type, I noticed one had a 5spd knob :eek:

the tag will tell me if the rear differential has limited-slip! it Will say "LSD"

List of needed parts:

Transmission, shifters and interior trim, pedal cluster,front 1/2 driveshaft, rear differential if changing ratio

Did I forget any parts? The axles are the same right? I got a bit confused... just match splines

Do I need any special tools? Triple-square or allen drive for the CV joint bolts? only on VW!! just use hammer and roll pin punch

I am very grateful that I have a heated garage this winter so the worst will be pulling this stuff in the mud in the junkyard. wait until the mud freezes and wear wellies

THANKS!

re-read ^

If i were you i would start pulling lsd rear ends and dual range transmissions because they are wanted items on here. An easy way to make a buck.

Also i believe that dual range is great. But depending on what your wanting to do with the car, i believe push button 4wd is just fine. I have that on my dl wagon and i am getting along great here in the snow and ice. Now if you are more prone to explore the backwoods then yes you want the dual range most definately. But if its a daily driver, i dotn think you need much more then the push button. But thats my opinion. :)

subiemech - thanks for the corrections and clarifications

dude - believe me, the thought crossed my mind to make money on these subaru parts, since I can still pass along the incredible prices and these things are like the stars at this junkyard...so many

Jerry - I sent you a PM. It would be great to meet other mechanics around the area that can help me, my friends are good at helping but can only do so much and aren't self-directed at what needs to be done

I'll be pulling the parts on Monday.

Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it!!

Snag me a d/r 4speed and main shifter while you're in there-

I should start a list of parts people want so I'm not stuck with inventory. I will pull what I need and then go back for the rest this week.

The Dude wants a limited-slip rear end

Welder wants a 4 speed d/r (is this the one with the pull lever for d/r?)

I've got a spare 4 speed dual range -- I'm putting a 5 speed in my '82 wagon when I put it back together. Still has 3rd gear even :) Not sure how to get it to ID from here, but... free otherwise.

Ok, I have to ask. I had a 84 Subaru GL 2 Wheel Drive hatch. The car would always pop out of 3rd gear. Your reference reminded me of it, whats the deal?

Ok, I have to ask. I had a 84 Subaru GL 2 Wheel Drive hatch. The car would always pop out of 3rd gear. Your reference reminded me of it, whats the deal?

I'm not sure... maybe some of the more experienced people on here can say why... but it seems that the 4 speed transmissions are kind of known for 3rd gear going. My old rusty '82 wagon that I had before this would pop out of 3rd, and grind going in, and my '84 wagon was a little hard to find 3rd sometimes. Both of them were over 200k miles, and this one is only 154k, IIRC.

Z

I think the third gear issue stems from shifter bushings, then the grinding is from continued use with bad bushings. Been there, done that, planned a d/r 5speed swap.

I would love to grab that transmission, especially if you have all the parts needed. Just need to figure out a way to get that from there to here.

I think the third gear issue stems from shifter bushings, then the grinding is from continued use with bad bushings. Been there, done that, planned a d/r 5speed swap.

I would love to grab that transmission, especially if you have all the parts needed. Just need to figure out a way to get that from there to here.

Yeah..... sometimes I drive home to Spokane in which case I drive right by there, but this year, with work and time off and such, I'll probably end up flying instead.

Z

please pull from the XT shift handle with push button, and as much of the wiring harness with it as possible, and the two roll pins

the 4spd 3rd gear issue is that the sychros go bad and one day you can no longer shift

if you are still confused about the axles, let me know and I can scan in the application table that lists the various combinations

Thanks! :banana:

Poor guy all hes wanting to do is do his 5 speed swap and were makeing him our biznitch. One thing you will learn vwIan is that subaru people look out for eachother. Ive had people help me with projects, send me parts, give me parts. Its just a family. We apreciate any help you can provide the rest of the clan with parts we are needing. :banana:

Poor guy all hes wanting to do is do his 5 speed swap and were makeing him our biznitch. One thing you will learn vwIan is that subaru people look out for eachother. Ive had people help me with projects, send me parts, give me parts. Its just a family. We apreciate any help you can provide the rest of the clan with parts we are needing. :banana:

sometimes we even call each other :grin:

Yeah..... sometimes I drive home to Spokane in which case I drive right by there, but this year, with work and time off and such, I'll probably end up flying instead.

Z

If you drive, I could probably throw a few bucks your way. Otherwise, we might be able to meet at the halfway point.

You guys are good at the thread-hijack. :lol:

To get the 4speed to Idaho you put it on a pallet and ship it. Strap it up with metal banding and it won't move on the pallet. One can ship it Forward Air, DHL freight or UPS freight.

Edit: I just saw the 4speed is in Ward, Colorado. If it makes it down to Denver I can help with shipping.

I will definitely pull the XT shifter and wires, and I'll have to figure out the roll pins (location, size?).

I can't believe no one has tapped this yard yet. All I know is where it is, they never answer the phone and they don't have a website. My days of hunting old VW's might have finally paid off...

If I can supply parts to help keep cars going I will certainly do it. The best part is I don't have to have my own junkyard, all these cars are just chillin' in yards around here. It's gunna be great when I fix my wagon and load it up with Suby parts for you folks.

Edited by VWIan

You guys are good at the thread-hijack. :lol:

To get the 4speed to Idaho you put it on a pallet and ship it. Strap it up with metal banding and it won't move on the pallet. One can ship it Forward Air, DHL freight or UPS freight.

Edit: I just saw the 4speed is in Ward, Colorado. If it makes it down to Denver I can help with shipping.

I will definitely pull the XT shifter and wires, and I'll have to figure out the roll pins (location, size?).

I can't believe no one has tapped this yard yet. All I know is where it is, they never answer the phone and they don't have a website. My days of hunting old VW's might have finally paid off...

If I can supply parts to help keep cars going I will certainly do it. The best part is I don't have to have my own junkyard, all these cars are just chillin' in yards around here. It's gunna be great when I fix my wagon and load it up with Suby parts for you folks.

I like this guy, hes gonna fit in here nicely