Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 GL-10 Left for Dead - Help Identify Donor Transmission (pg4)

VWIan

My title also covers hijacks, as long as I make a wisecrack about it.

I think you could count the non-wandering threads on here on one hand. It's all good, though, kinda laid back.

As far as shipping, you could actually clean it really good, make sure it's drained, and take it to your favorite pack-n-ship type place. They can fedex it by just slapping a sticker on it.

I think it weighs somewhere around 60-75lbs. The upside is that because it's winter, it might not be a bad idea to ship. I already had to can one road parts trip in the last month.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure... maybe some of the more experienced people on here can say why... but it seems that the 4 speed transmissions are kind of known for 3rd gear going. My old rusty '82 wagon that I had before this would pop out of 3rd, and grind going in, and my '84 wagon was a little hard to find 3rd sometimes. Both of them were over 200k miles, and this one is only 154k, IIRC.

Z

Reverse also goes out on the 4spd d/r. I have seen several that have gone!

My title also covers hijacks, as long as I make a wisecrack about it.

I think you could count the non-wandering threads on here on one hand. It's all good, though, kinda laid back.

As far as shipping, you could actually clean it really good, make sure it's drained, and take it to your favorite pack-n-ship type place. They can fedex it by just slapping a sticker on it.

I think it weighs somewhere around 60-75lbs. The upside is that because it's winter, it might not be a bad idea to ship. I already had to can one road parts trip in the last month.

UPS gives around $60 to $110 depending on exact weight and size that it ends up... shipping from boulder to Jerome. I estimated about 90lbs for it, but maybe it's less.

I should be able to swing that, just work some extra hours to make up for it.

That brings me down to needing a t-case, and a bit of steel to build with.

I'll have to see how things go this weekend, if I snag an 8n I've been eying, that'll wipe me out. Would be nice to have ~70hp instead of 23-25, though.

I should be able to swing that, just work some extra hours to make up for it.

That brings me down to needing a t-case, and a bit of steel to build with.

I'll have to see how things go this weekend, if I snag an 8n I've been eying, that'll wipe me out. Would be nice to have ~70hp instead of 23-25, though.

Wow... this thread is wandering. :lol:

8N as in a ford tractor? Here's mine 1954 Ford 600.

Ford600.JPG

Hey, there's two subaru's in the background, so it's still on topic. :rolleyes:

ford screwed ferguson, ford sucks

ferguson to-20 is much better :banana:

http://www.ytmag.com/profiles/to20prof.htm

agco is the way to go :)

This might be, but I'm sorry Ford made some really good tractors, my uncle has a large farm and had a john deer and a ford(don't ask me what year or size) and they were both excellent tractors, the ford looked like a pile of rust and never stopped working, my cousin worked in the woods and bought a late 80's Ford and never had an issue with it and my dad bought a New Holland and has never had an issue with it, now with that said I'm not a fan of ford but you can't argue with the many years they produced a long lasting very capable work machine and the many years that they lasted. I personally would buy a Kubota, but obviously they haven't been around for ever!:-\