Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another LB the coupe update:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I run mine for 10 or 15 minutes without the cap I get the same results. Coolant spewing everywhere. This will happen with my wagon, and a few others I have run with the cap off. Do you have a working temp gauge? Run it with the radiator cap on and see what happens. If it runs cool with the cap on, then its probably ok.

If I run mine for 10 or 15 minutes without the cap I get the same results. Coolant spewing everywhere. This will happen with my wagon, and a few others I have run with the cap off. Do you have a working temp gauge? Run it with the radiator cap on and see what happens. If it runs cool with the cap on, then its probably ok.

The car has a defunct digidash.

A infra read temp sensor/reader would work tho ;)

I think we know who has one!!!! He has it on ebay and has it on here for 150 with all new gaskets!

I have been in contact with him :) njdrsubaru will most likely be picking it up for me Sat.:banana::banana:

But ..we did get the new ignition switch in..and think he know what was causing the fan not to work. Had a great time...and have some pics...but a weeee bit too tipsy to post right now.

you need to wire up a real temp guage and put it on a Guage pod in the dash, NEED to do this first Connie. If you don't do this, you might fry every single motor you put in there. That Digi dash must eventually must go too. I think for less than 20 bucks you can get the temp guage and sender. Its not worth putting a penny more into that car, or engine until you get a reliable temp reading, so you know if its getting hot or not, even if you get the fans going, you need to know the temps.

Get the temp guage to the very top of your list, you are just wasting money if not.

...A infra read temp sensor/reader would work tho ;)

Great Idea, but do you Know which are the Average Temps for that Engine? ... it will be Nice to Know How much Temp a Runnin` Engine should Show at:

• 1/4 Gauge (Like Idle or Cruising) =
  • 1/2 Gauge (Under Load / Uphill Drive \ with Air Condtitioneer) =
  • 3/4 Gauge (Very Hot) =

I`ll Like to Know that Data, also if it`s the same for other Subie Engines...

To have an Aftermarket Temp Gauge that uses a Great Sender unit or Something more Accurate on the Engine is Great Idea...

Connie: Good Luck with your Beautiful Subie! :)

I Hope to see more Pics of it Runnin`Great Again! :burnout:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Iv'e used an LM34CZ with a volt meter as a remote thermometer to monitor engine temperatures. It costs about $6.00 @ Digi-Key. It is accurate +/-1 degree F, also available in C. Since I was only doing testing, I just powered it with a 9V battery. The output is 10mV / degree, so 1.90V = 190 degrees. If you want to get fancy, add a digital panel meter, and a few parts, mount it in the dash. There are a few unused holes in the head, I put some thermal grease in one & pushed the sensor in. The sensor is connected to a piece of thin 2 conductor shielded wire, with heatshrink tubing to insulate the pins from each other and the engine.

hmmm where is the pic of "the cylinder"

i think it will be a waste of money trying to rebuild a motor with 230k on it and the outcome may actually be worse than what we are actually hoping for...

now the new engine will sure need some TLC and cleaning but i think its the right way to go... i hope we can finish it soon, now i am anxious about it too... next project will be 4wd and lift kit put in!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: just kidding connie

Edited by njdrsubaru

hmmm where is the pic of "the cylinder"

i think it will be a waste of money trying to rebuild a motor with 230k on it and the outcome may actually be worse than what we are actually hoping for...

now the new engine will sure need some TLC and cleaning but i think its the right way to go... i hope we can finish it soon, now i am anxious about it too... next project will be 4wd and lift kit put in!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: just kidding connie

it iS HERE!: ( woke up for a sec ..bathroom run ..dam Shane and his potent drinks)

..oops pic wont work cause of what i titled it as ..LOL..wil fix that tomorrow

pic of the other cylinders didnt turn out. These marks were not in the motor before BTW..And from rebuilding enough dirt bike 4 strokers..you see this its means its time for boring and replacing. Along with having to redo the heads AGAIN..I am done with this motor. I have almost enough into it that I could have had a CCR...and now that is out of the question. I was Glad Neo was here cause I think that kept me from going into tears about this or pushing it down the hill into the creek never to be seen again.

And we were also discussing possibly saying screw it..EJ22 and 4WD swap. which the 4WD might be in the fututre cause this car also has a bad tranny.

Going back to bed now,

Edited by Bucky92

please put a real working temp guage in the car, not some temp on the spot thing from wal mart. put a real time temp guage so you can see temps at idle, at load, up hill etc. you are wasting most peoples time if you do not do this. serious. please do this first thing before any other moves. this is not a joke connie, you need a all the time working temp guage on these older cars. you do not have this.

I am unfamilar with this model of car, but someone said the dash is digital and not working. I have used a guy that is on Ebay for a rebuilt cluster and fixes digital dashes. The name is Digital Dash Solutions and he warranties his work. I am very happy with my dash, and reasonably priced! Might want to check it out.:)

I am unfamilar with this model of car, but someone said the dash is digital and not working. I have used a guy that is on Ebay for a rebuilt cluster and fixes digital dashes. The name is Digital Dash Solutions and he warranties his work. I am very happy with my dash, and reasonably priced! Might want to check it out.:)

I dug around and got the contact:

PHONE: 1-860-583-0629 Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM Eastern time only please.

Fax 1-860-383-8830 anytime.

Email: digital_dash_solutions@comcast.net

My Address: Carl Cowles 1143 North Rd Dayville, Ct 06241 USA

bh... I found a fantastic solution to the temp gauge issue.. just have to locate one..accurate to the 10th of a degree.I am actually planning on doing the same mod to my Imp. So this is all in the works :). believe me..I am tired of all this now....but ~someone~ keeps yelling at me.:grin:

that's cool you hopefully have a good motor to start with.

so what actually happened to this thing? wasn't it overheating? can cylinder wall wear/damage cause that?

Gary... Neo tested the thermoswitch and it was bad..also had a blown relay..so the fan wasnt coming on when it should..Found some other wireing issues but nothing major..we pulled the motor to put the new rear main in it along with a new clutch disk and flywheel. ( it was so easy the second time..had it out an on the floor in about 20 minutes and that included our fighting that Neo and me always do). So while we had it out we desided to pull the heads quick..better safe then sorry. Plus he said the motor just didnt sound right when it was running.So another 5 minutes per side ( OMG so easy the second time around) and we did find a bad spot in one of the gaskets..then upon further investigation..we spotted the scoring. After discussion we said..no more..not worth doing anything else to a 236K mile motor. And lucky enough subaru360 still has his EA81 ..so that is being picked up Sat.Then we will work on that one and drop it in.

OH and the mark towards the top of the cylinder is from coolant sitting there..the deep scores towards the back are probably from debris or something.

Edited by Bucky92

amen girl, i wouldn't keep it either. quarter million miles, about the distance to the moon, yeah it's about time to move on. might even feel kinda good to finally get rid of that thing?

wonder if anyone here would use it? still probably a useable motor, just might eat some oil.