Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight conversion complete!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep looking at this stock hatch by my house with the round lights and I keep thinking how cool it would look to make an mesh grill with the 3eye and sink the lights to look like a new mustang. I love the round lights! I hear the parts are tough to find.

Looks great, especially with the baja-style bumper. :banana: did you make that bumper or adapt it from something else?

It's a custom made bumper. A friend of mine did most of the work. I love it, It's quite unique especially for a Subaru! and it certainly takes a beating and protects the front end!!

i just love the bugeye look.thats why i initially did it.then i took a trip to wcss 8 and found another that had, way before me.

i was goig to do it in the hatch and inset some lifgts in the grill as well!but alas,there are other plans for her now........as far as lights go anyway.

glad you like it mate.

ps,better change that avatar....:)

cheers!brian

i just love the bugeye look.thats why i initially did it.then i took a trip to wcss 8 and found another that had, way before me.

i was goig to do it in the hatch and inset some lifgts in the grill as well!but alas,there are other plans for her now........as far as lights go anyway.

glad you like it mate.

ps,better change that avatar....:)

cheers!brian

Yup I love it, and thanks for helping out so much!!!

I like the roundies a lot. Gives the EA81 a unique look, but depending on the body style EA81, I don't think any of the headlight set-ups look bad. I like my quad lights because if a rock knocks one out, it wont necessarily take out the adjacent lamp.

But like I said, looks great. Are those aftermarket lenses or OEMs? Look aftermarket.

REALLY like that bumper too. Might have to copy it, lol.

Your Brat Looks Very Nice & Clean! ...:)... Good Job, Well Done!

Could I Ask more information about the Headlamps` Lights? ... They aren`t Sealed Beams, isn`t it? ...

The factory lights are sealed beams but these are aftermarket that fit right in and you can change out the actual bulb...and thanks for the compliments!

how hard was it going from quad headlights to 2... how much modification involved that's awesome

Well I had to learn how to do it and Monstaru had to help a little as well. I had to cut out the sheet metal between the stock quad setup. Then kind of trace the round lamp onto the existing metal and trim where needed. Then kind of figure out where everything lined up. New holes had to be drilled for the lights. They are a couple bits and pieces you have to grab off of the donor car...like the metal brackets that hold the headlight bezels and the grill in place. But it is pretty straight forward as long as you have all the pieces and parts, which Brian was kind enough to include!!:grin::banana:

And to all, feel free to copy the bumper design and I do have a couple pics of it being made if anyone wants them. Thanks for all the compliments!!

The factory lights are sealed beams but these are aftermarket that fit right in and you can change out the actual bulb...and thanks for the compliments!

Great! ... So you not only improved the Looks of your Subie, you now Have the Chance to use Better Lights there -like H.I.D.`s for Example- and it Still Will Look Clean & Nice!

Great! ... So you not only improved the Looks of your Subie, you now Have the Chance to use Better Lights there -like H.I.D.`s for Example- and it Still Will Look Clean & Nice!

right! These lights were included with the stuff I bought off Monstaru! Right now I only have low beams(Haven't figured it out yet) but they are much brighter than my stock ones were!

I keep looking at this stock hatch by my house with the round lights and I keep thinking how cool it would look to make an mesh grill with the 3eye and sink the lights to look like a new mustang. I love the round lights! I hear the parts are tough to find.

Yeah the parts are hard to find. I have only seen one other in Maine with this style. When I saw Monstaru post these for sale when the playground was up, I jumped on it! I've always wanted the single headlight setup. I probably would have taken the single square as well but I do like the round! It's like a lot of the late 70's vehicles.

So as you all know I just completed this swap, well now I only have low beams. When i put my high beams on the lights go dim. Also the light on the dash says that my high beams are on all the time. I have tried using the other plugs that were left over and then the lights only work on high beams. So I plugged the three pole plugs back on and have the same problem. So any ideas? Thanks!

Sounds like you have the same issues I did with my conversion. The problem is that the prongs for the bulb are in different locations then the wires in the plastic connector that connects to the bulb. What I had to do was slide the wires and connectors out of the plastic housing and reorganize them so that they worked with the bulb's internal wiring layout.

Well actually when I say I did it, my Dad, who was an electrical engineer, did it for me. Thanks Dad!

So don't ask too many questions about anything too specific, because I don't know the answers!

Sounds like you have the same issues I did with my conversion. The problem is that the prongs for the bulb are in different locations then the wires in the plastic connector that connects to the bulb. What I had to do was slide the wires and connectors out of the plastic housing and reorganize them so that they worked with the bulb's internal wiring layout.

Well actually when I say I did it, my Dad, who was an electrical engineer, did it for me. Thanks Dad!

So don't ask too many questions about anything too specific, because I don't know the answers!

My plugs actually line up perfectly with the prongs on the bulbs