Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Size Stabilizer Bar??

where are you ordering one from?

bigger is better, IMHO

I only need one. So it has to match the one that was installed in the Sub factory. I was wanting to know if anyone here knew what the stock size was for my year & model.

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214327&chapter=ANL730&appSectionid=19&groupid=10023&subgroupid=20127&componentid=61764&make=32&model=Wagon&year=1986&catalogid=1

For an '86 4WD wagon, EA82 1.8.

16, 18 or 19mm?

What other things does one need to know to order the right size?

I have a 1986 GL-10 that has 19mm front 16mm rear stock. I've heard of a 17, 15 combo as well.

20 front 20 rear is an OEM bolt on I believe. XT6?

These stock bars are tubular and light weight. Not a chunk of heavy iron, btw.

hth,

Doug

Hey,

I would think someone here on the board could fix you right up with what you need, used. One bar on front? 16mm...mabie.

Doug

I had the front end redone, put new tires on it and then took it to a good place for an alignment (not one of the chain stores). Guy said I could use a right stabilizer bar as he could not get the alignment just right with the original in the shape it is. I never realized that there would be size choices to contend with. I was online doing price comparisons and found the choices. And I'm like, say what??? :confused:

Anti sway bar

sway bar

stabilizer bar

All names for the same thing.

ok why would they say that it was effecting the ability to align it? The sway bar shouldn't effect the alignment unless it was really messed up...in which I would suspect other things to be bent as well

He - the alignment guy - said that my right whatever-name-bar-he called it is bent. No surprise there as I've hit some curbs pretty hard over the past years trying to do a 360 in my small street in order to get my car aimed the right direction.

So if the right bar is bent then I assume that there is a separate left bar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also assuming that whether the bar I need is 16, 18 or 19 mm, the length is not an issue as long as I get one that's made for my car year & model. Yes? No?

So the size in mm's is...the diameter? And if so, 19mm is going to be stronger than 16mm?

If I got a left & right bar just so I can have matching ones in the same condition, does it matter if I get two 18s, two 19s? As long as they are matched in size?

Does the size in mm's of the front bars have any impact on the what's going on with the rear end? I mean, could one end up with a mis-match?

Is the arm bone connected to the leg bone? :grin:

He - the alignment guy - said that my right whatever-name-bar-he called it is bent. No surprise there as I've hit some curbs pretty hard over the past years trying to do a 360 in my small street in order to get my car aimed the right direction.

So if the right bar is bent then I assume that there is a separate left bar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also assuming that whether the bar I need is 16, 18 or 19 mm, the length is not an issue as long as I get one that's made for my car year & model. Yes? No?

So the size in mm's is...the diameter? And if so, 19mm is going to be stronger than 16mm?

If I got a left & right bar just so I can have matching ones in the same condition, does it matter if I get two 18s, two 19s? As long as they are matched in size?

Does the size in mm's of the front bars have any impact on the what's going on with the rear end? I mean, could one end up with a mis-match?

Is the arm bone connected to the leg bone? :grin:

I'm pretty sure that he is referring to the radius rods which yes you can just grab a good one from another car that is the same body style as yours and bolt it on. I don't know if they come in different diameters. And yes the arm bone(radius rod) is connected to the leg bone(control arm).:lol: So I'm pretty sure that's what needs replacing...they bend fairly easy when sliding into curbs.

I'm pretty sure that he is referring to the radius rods which yes you can just grab a good one from another car that is the same body style as yours and bolt it on. I don't know if they come in different diameters. And yes the arm bone(radius rod) is connected to the leg bone(control arm).:lol: So I'm pretty sure that's what needs replacing...they bend fairly easy when sliding into curbs.

But if I grab one from another car of the same body style I won't know if it has some bend to it or any fatigue cracks, will I? I mean, it would have to be an old one. And if it's from a wrecking yard they won't have checked it for being out of round or looked carefully for stress cracks, would they?

Just speaking from my point of view as a previous employee at a high-tech steel mill in the QA/FA dept. Tensile strength is tensile strength and it can be pushed beyond its inherent limit if put under a lot of strain.

I've always had the philosophy that if things come as a set then they should be replaced, when the time comes, as a set. I've never cared for doing things piecemeal.

But that's just me.

On those rods you can see if they are bent at all, and they don't crack, that I have ever seen. I have used ones from a junk yard on numerous occasions and would again. They are very strong and the only way they get bent is when there is a lot of impact like you were explaining. Again if you look at a used one you will be able to see if it is bent or not in a second. If it is bent don't use it if it isn't use it. I mean you did say over the years you have hit a lot of curbs etc. so how long has that thing been bent and still been on your car? It's not something that just breaks, they bend but again I have never seen one break or crack. But if you can find someplace that actually will sell you a new one, go for it. hope that helps!:)

Oh no, I'm not worried about one from a wrecking yard breaking. I just got 4 new Michelin Weatherwise tires and I don't want anything to be even slightly out of whack with the alignment. Especially not in the front.

So back to my original question about bar size: if i get two 18mm's for the front (for example) and I originally had 16mm, will the 18's have any (negative) impact on the rear end of the car?

And do the sizes in mm's refer to the diameter?

OK, yes, I'm A-C. :lol:

Okay I just looked at that link that you posted originally, sorry I didn't see it before. That is a sway bar, and no it doesn't matter what size you use it won't effect the tire wear, but the bigger it is the better your car will handle. What exactly is your car, I didn't know that it had a sway bar in the rear!?!?

Oops, I think I have confused you. I didn't say it had a sway bar in the rear. I was only asking if the size of the front stabilizer bars (in mm's) had any effect on the steering/suspension/transaxle/whatever in the rear of the car. Or are the front stabilizer bars (strut bars?) independent units from what's going in the rear?

Sorry if I lead you down the wrong path.

Ahhh ok I get it now..I'm sorry! No the size of the front sway bar shouldn't effect the rear at all. But if you really wanna tighten up the feeling of the car you could add a rear sway bar as well. I think I heard that sway bars out of an XT would work. The front sway bar just simply connects both controls arms to the body and to each other, so that the vehicle doesn't "lean" in the corners, and handles better. If yours is bent then just replace it and it should go back to factory and you'll be able to get an alignment on it.

Thanks, that's really all I need to know. I don't how or why I end up making things complicated. It's my engineering-oriented mind...I can't control it. :)

Well, OK, I do have another question. Is the stabilizer bar the same as a "strut bar"?

It's ok not a problem.

No a strut bar is used under the hood. That's what I call it anyways....It bolts on to the top of both struts where they bolt up underneath the hood of the car. But good luck finding one for your car. I personally have never found one that fits the older subarus. But you could make one I suppose. It is used to help stiffen the chassis more. They really don't make a huge difference unless you have wide grippy tires on your car. But I have one on my RS. hope that helps!:grin:

OK, stabilizer bar it is. Time to order some.

• 2 months later...

It's definitely called a stabilizer bar. I got a good look at it yesterday when I was having my tires mounted on my newly-painted white spoke rims. The sway bar is something else, shaped differently from the stabilizer bar. I had the tech measure the stabilizer bar with his digital calipers and it's 18mm, just like what is for sale here at Subaru Parts Warehouse:

http://https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214327&chapter=ANL730&appSectionid=19&groupid=10023&subgroupid=20127&componentid=61764&make=32&model=Wagon&year=1986&catalogid=1

First off, anywhere you see it refered to here is as a radius rod. I've bent a few of them, but large rocks and stumps were involved, not curbs.

If it bent, it was from physical damage like a hard impact on a curb. It's not a normal wear and tear item. I've never seen one crack because the metal isn't being worked unless you way overload it, ie a curb. Replace the one with a straight one out of a junk car. Take a quick look at it, if it's straight to the eye, it's straight enough to allign.

Spend your money getting the radius rod bushings that are at the end of the rod where it attaches to the car body. Those will give you way more of an improvement in handling and tire wear than putting a brand new radius rod on will vs. a good used one.

1986 SUBARU GL 1.8L 1781cc H4 TBI (5) : Suspension : Strut RodPriceCoreTotalAdvice.gifSPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 6111057 MoreInfo.gif {Professional Grade}

Front Suspension; Up To Plus / Minus 2-1/4 Degree6111057-1.jpg

$36.79$0.00$36.79

One source for new, and the price. Rock Auto.