Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Size Stabilizer Bar??

I didn't know there were different sized rods. Maybe it's just the bushings on the ends that are worn????

If it's bent, take it off, lay in on a flat surface so the curve is up and whack it with a sledge hammer. Roll it to see it's good, if not, whack it again.

I hit a tree years ago and bent mine up, had to take the hammer to it, and it worked!

I

I didn't know there were different sized rods. Maybe it's just the bushings on the ends that are worn????

If it's bent, take it off, lay in on a flat surface so the curve is up and whack it with a sledge hammer. Roll it to see it's good, if not, whack it again.

I hit a tree years ago and bent mine up, had to take the hammer to it, and it worked!

I'm 65 year old woman, semi-disabled (bad back) and I don't work on cars. :)

By the time I paid someone to do alll the labor - the pulling, pounding & replacing - I could have just bought a new one & had it put on. There are no wrecking yards w/in 45 miles of me that have older Subaru parts of any kind.

First off, anywhere you see it refered to here is as a radius rod. I've bent a few of them, but large rocks and stumps were involved, not curbs.

I need to know the exact, industry-understood name for the part I'm seeking when I'm trying to find one to buy on the Internet.

Spend your money getting the radius rod bushings that are at the end of the rod where it attaches to the car body. Those will give you way more of an improvement in handling and tire wear than putting a brand new radius rod on will vs. a good used one.

I have a whole new front end, everything replaced with new, except for these. It's not obvious to the naked eye that one of both need replacing. As far as I can tell, it takes a sophisticated alignment machine to figure out that one is bent just enough to prevent 100% true alignment.

Hi,

As 91Loyale said, order new rubber bushings while you're at it, whatever else you do. If they haven't been replaced before, I would expect due to age alone, they would be somewhat deteriorated.

Have both sides replaced, they're inexpensive.

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5781041 MoreInfo.gif {Professional Grade}

Front; To Frame5781041-1.jpg

$7.01

Doug

Edited by Quidam

1986 SUBARU GL 1.8L 1781cc H4 TBI (5) : Suspension : Strut RodPriceCoreTotalAdvice.gifSPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 6111057 MoreInfo.gif {Professional Grade}

Front Suspension; Up To Plus / Minus 2-1/4 Degree6111057-1.jpg

$36.79$0.00$36.79

One source for new, and the price. Rock Auto.

If that goes through the strut(s) then it's not what I need. What I'm looking for has nothing to do with the suspension.

Hi,

As 91Loyale said, order new rubber bushings while you're at it, whatever else you do. If they haven't been replaced before, I would expect due to age alone, they would be somewhat deteriorated.

Have both sides replaced, they're inexpensive.

SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5781041 MoreInfo.gif {Professional Grade}

Front; To Frame5781041-1.jpg

$7.01

Doug

OK, good idea. I'll check with my auto shop and see if those were replaced when I got the front end done.

If that goes through the strut(s) then it's not what I need. What I'm looking for has nothing to do with the suspension.

It doesn't go through the struts. Your source only offers the "Stabilizer Bar" That is also known by the name, "Sway Bar". It is part of the suspension.

You only have one of those on the front of your Subaru.

I'm pretty sure that the parts I listed, are what you want.

Doug

It doesn't go through the struts. Your source only offers the "Stabilizer Bar" That is also known by the name, "Sway Bar". It is part of the suspension.

You only have one of those on the front of your Subaru.

I'm pretty sure that the parts I listed, are what you want.

Doug

When I was under the car at McCormack Tire, I saw the sway bar. And that's not what I want. I want the straighter bar that sits near the sway bar. It sits more to the center of the car (but not much) and slightly behind the sway bar. They are not connected to each other in any way that I could see.

When I was under the car at McCormack Tire, I saw the sway bar. And that's not what I want. I want the straighter bar that sits near the sway bar. It sits more to the center of the car (but not much) and slightly behind the sway bar. They are not connected to each other in any way that I could see.

Subaru calls this piece a "leading rod". Subaru # 21063 GA080 for your car.

Also known as a strut rod or radius rod sometimes.

BTW boys,they are not all created equal.RXs and turbo 4wd 3drs share another while XT6s have thier own.

Hi Subarule,

The parts I posted are what you want. I just took an 18mm open end wrench and put it on the strut rods of a Loyale and a few different years GL's. They are all 18mm in diameter.

Doug

OK, thanks Doug. Can't beat the price you posted either.