Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 legacy wagaon LS 5 speed 240,000 and going.

1.heater fan will only work on random times, sometimes I hit the dash and it will work then other times it just wont work at all. any ideas.

2. using the Def/heat button makes loud clicking noise from the engine bay dont know were it is coming from. and the car goes no were, pedal to the floor. but the engine does not die.

3. Def button dont work any clues.

this is my first subaru. but not my first car.

You might just need to check and be sure the elc. plug is connected good to the fan motor.

I would get some elc. cleaner from Radio Shack (make sure it says safe to use on plactic on the can) and spray the heater control buttons. I use it on mine and it work goods.

I think you have a combination of issues here.

The simplest may be a bad blower motor. Its unusual for the switch to go bad, but it happens.

You can have an AC issue. Defrost runs the AC compressor (and is probably the clicking your hearing). You may be low on refrigerant. The Air direction is controlled by little electric motors, the defrost door may be broken or jammed, though usually defrost is the default position if anything goes wrong with the doors.

nipper

I had a 91 Subie Leggie that had a blower fan that made a lot of noise, and ran poorly. It is easily removed from inside the car, behind the glove box on the passanger side. Upon removal, I found the blower squirrle cage clogged with tree leaves and gunk. I cleaned it up, reinstalled, and it was good as new.

Fan problem = bad relay or connection at relay. Replace relay or repair connection.

Defrost/engine issue is siezed A/C compressor. Disconnect plug from the condensor or remove A/C belt.

..I just had this happen on my '86..burnt relay..only the 2nd time to happen over many years of driving a subi