Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hmmmmmm :-\ today subarina decided to b..ch slap me back for all the abuse and hard work i put her through... about 4:30 pm when i came back home from my Junk Yard shopping i noticed a smell of antifreeze... well surely enough when i looked on the underside there it was, coolant coming from the right size of the water pump (the side that is closest to the center of the engine). so i right away decided to go to advance auto parts and get a new water pump gasket. On my way back, about a mile away from home at a traffic light she starts screeching for life, fans kicked on and temp sorta went from below half way to actually half way lol. thank god for those fans, well it turns out that my water pump seized and the timing belt was just smoking, heheh, she never fully overheated!! now u gotta love subies, driving a mile took me a few mnts driving like that and when i got home i turned her off and she was smelling like burning rubber from the timing belt... lucky me i have to do another timing belt job on that engine, the second one this yr :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by njdrsubaru

I had one self destruct in a nissan i had, It had a small leak i figured i had a week or so, then a noise, a bang, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. Get home pop the hood, and no more water pump. Just some broken pieces of metal.

You lucked out.

Do i dare ask how old that pump was?

nipper

Wow sucks, but pretty luckily the engine ran! SH** happens I guess... I remember a long long time ago like 70,000km (320,000km currenty 93 legacy) ago when my pump went was pumping fluid straight to the floor :lol: Ran like that for a whole month. So much money wasted on coolant could have spent that money on just getting the damn pump!! Never experienced it seizing up or making any noise though.

Glad you made it home. I take it you have a 2.2 non-interference engine. How many miles on that old water pump?

I've heard that the newer water pumps hold up pretty well, but perhaps the lesson is to swap it out with the timing belt every 105K miles if you have an interference engine.

Glad you made it home. I take it you have a 2.2 non-interference engine. How many miles on that old water pump?

I've heard that the newer water pumps hold up pretty well, but perhaps the lesson is to swap it out with the timing belt every 105K miles if you have an interference engine.

Yup or every other if its a 2.2.

Be careful buying the aftermarket H2O pump and that stupid paper gasket that comes with it. In fact I don't recomend it at all. Within the past week I have had to repair two failed after market H2O pump failures that were done by a "joe snuffy" shop that did not know what they were doing. The one job was so bad I had to pretty much replace everything except the heater core. The hoses were blown to smitherines and the radiator inlet was gernaded. There was so much metal shavings in the cooling system I could have recylced it and made some more money...it was acutally a butchered head gasket job, that I just had to stop before I found anything ealse wrong with the car...but I am sure it will be back in some time when the HG's fail.

Neo!!! Bright and Early Thursday morning..you just better have kawfy and breakfast cooking... I will be there to help get Subarina going again. Plus I owe you a beating for posting those pics in my thread in Old Gen!!:-p

Better yet...want me to pull your heads ...hehehehehehehe ..Impressed the crap outta you how fast this girlie yanked those heads off that motor huh.

Edited by Bucky92