Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, my wife and I are starting off the new year with a new car. Well....new to us. Her 1990 Ford Ranger finally died with a mere 272,000 miles on the clock. Very sad. So we shopped around, drove 12-15 cars, talked to AT LEAST 8 dealers and 24 salesmen (the cretins gang up like pirhana!). We were just about to pick up an 05 Grand Caravan but decided to look around just a BIT more. We landed at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn where we drove a 2000 Legacy. When we were done, we weren't sure, so we asked if they had anything else in that price range. We were told that they had JUST taken in a Forester that should be in about that range but that it hadn't been inspected yet. We could look if we wanted, but not drive it. So we looked and the INSTANT her butt hit the seat, she fell in love with her first Soob.

It got safety and mechanical inspections today and we got to drive it for the first time. She's still in love, so we signed the paperwork. We are now the proud new owners of a red (maroon?) 2001 Forester S. Pretty much loaded with everything but leather. We had them add in the heavy duty rubber floor mats, cargo mat and dog barrier.

I knew that this vintage of EJ25 engines has head gasket problems, so I made sure to ask about it. When they did the mechanical inspection they decided that, in fact, the head gaskets had not been done and were beginning to show signs of failure. So they are doing that repair prior to delivery along with a few other small items. They even gave us a loaner until the car is ready. How's that for service? If anyone is looking, I HIGHLY recommend Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn, WA.

So, having had the head gaskets dealt with, are there any OTHER issues with this vintage car that I should be aware of? Its an auto trans. Any known issues there? Might a trans cooler be in order? Any nifty new-gen tricks I need to know to help it stay alive as long as possible?

i am sure glad you got that over a caravan. ALL Dodge's the name means something They barely dodge the warranty. They build a transmission to last the mileage of the warranty, but nothing further. the transmissions will alll fail shortly after it gets out of warranty, and dodge doesn't care, they won every time. consumers never keep a dodge more than a few years due to this....that's why you will see 3 year old dodges for the cheaps.

A dodge is always in the shop once it reaches after the warranty expiration....Dodges are pretty much throw away cars after 3 years.