Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everybody, admins and members.

I am new here and therefore not sure if I'm posting in the right section (please don't hate :))

I currently have a 00 LGT with ej25 ver2

I love everything about the car but right now i'm looking for more power to be completely satisfied with it.

What in your opinion would be an appropriate thing to do in my case? I was considering an ej20t swap but ver6 is 4000$ and ver7 and 8, just for the forged bits is twice the money so both of those options are quite costly. I was also thinking of waiting til next summer and getting a 2006 LGT but that's also a lump of money that I do not currently have. I don't think turbocharging my engine is an option since pistons 2 and 4 are already knocking and its got 170 000kms on it (~110 000 miles)

what do you think the options are here and what would be a good thing to do?

What im basically looking for is more power but close to same or better reliability (I don't need 400hp) and the car is an all year daily driver for me.

Thanks in advance! Any input greatly appreciated

Android,

Here is the 59 year old, retired school teacher answer to your question. You don't have a lot of money. You already have a 9 year old car. The economy couldn't be worse, and may get more so over the next year or so. Money for most people will be in short supply. My advice is to stay with the car you have, treat it with respect and give it the service maintenance it requires, and bide your time. When you have the money, and you're confident that you can afford to jump onto something with more "git", look for a good used H6 Legacy, or an XT Legacy or Forester, or even a WRX or the STI. You'll be better off with a car that was engineered for the extra power you want... and has the built in extra stop as well. Damn it! I'm starting to sound like my old man!

Android,

Here is the 59 year old, retired school teacher answer to your question. You don't have a lot of money. You already have a 9 year old car. The economy couldn't be worse, and may get more so over the next year or so. Money for most people will be in short supply. My advice is to stay with the car you have, treat it with respect and give it the service maintenance it requires, and bide your time. When you have the money, and you're confident that you can afford to jump onto something with more "git", look for a good used H6 Legacy, or an XT Legacy or Forester, or even a WRX or the STI. You'll be better off with a car that was engineered for the extra power you want... and has the built in extra stop as well. Damn it! I'm starting to sound like my old man!

Agree fully with you, especially the part about starting to "sound like my old man." I am age 64, and that is exactly what my old man would have said, God rest his soul. Funny how my old man got smarter and smarter the older I got. Never would have believed it.

I too once wanted to invest in my Legacy, though at the time it was only 5 years old. Not saying that you shouldnt if you intend to hold on to it, but keep two things in mind.

1. Be prepared for unexpected maintence costs as your car is reaching that special age.

2. Your future. Im glad I held off as I am using the money I would have spent to go to grad. school.

as you quote engine swaps, make sure you have a good bit of extra added in just in case. because other things will come up.

your current EJ25 probably just has piston slap, not rod knock. two completely different issues. rod knock is very, very bad. piston slap is no big deal.

this really comes down to time, skills, and money. we don't know any of that, so hard to make a recommendation.

the older EJ22's do fantastic with a bit of boost to them. not sure how the EJ25's would hold up. probably some better info on the legacybbs boards or NASIOC about that.

dont try to turbo yours, you will be limited to around 5-6PSI which might make another 40HP, but for $2000+ for the turbo kit its not worth it.

you also have to look at the resale value, you will NOT be able to get anywhere near the money you put into it back.

i suggest to wait, save your money and keep the reliable car you have now. when your done with school and such get a newer turbo legacy and enjoy that. im 22 years old, have had 19 cars, and thus far my 96 impreza has all suspension done, you can enjoy suspension every day, alot of power you cant use most of the time.