Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 clutch cable, brat/wagon same?

I get to do the clutch cable on my brat. Oh boy.

Local autozone has one for the wagon. Do they also fit on the brat? Seems to me both swap.

I'm pulling old out tonight, will compare it to the one at autozone tomorrow. Just thought I'd ask.

thanks, dave.

'78,87 brats.

I assume the BRAT in question is the 87. I personally would tell them that it is for an '84. That way you don't risk getting the cable for an EA82.

Seriously though, best thing to do is go to a Subaru dealer for the cable. I got mine for about $20 and the quality difference will blow you through the roof.

yeah, it is the 87 (ea81), just did a search for info, and found a good one with pics!

Gotta love this site, after searching I realize that my brat uses a spring clip to hold the cable housing, not a bolt. I went under that dash 3 times trying to find that 10 mm bolt.

By the way I removed my seat, couldn't imagine trying to fit in there with it in place.

I know I should go oem, but probably will go with autozone as they have one in stock.

Thanks for the napa link.

yes, all ea81 clutch cables interchange

Not true - they changed in 83.5 to a different pedal bracket with a change in the cable as well. The cables are not easily interchangeable without changing the entire pedal assembly.

Aftermarket cables suck - you'll be changeing it again. Remember to route it under the steering linkage and heater core hoses.

GD

thats funny,i took an 82 brat cable and put it into my 86......weird..and i just bought one for an 84 brat that i put into my 83 wagon......about 3 weeks ago.but who am i to argue with an rump roast.:grin:so, what you state may be the case,but there are always exceptions to the rule.i was not being maliscious in my statement that they are all the same,and did not intend to give misinformation....sorry daveap if i did,but i do not know so... cheers, brian

Not true - they changed in 83.5 to a different pedal bracket with a change in the cable as well. The cables are not easily interchangeable without changing the entire pedal assembly.

Aftermarket cables suck - you'll be changeing it again. Remember to route it under the steering linkage and heater core hoses.

GD

Edited by monstaru

Well autozone didn't have what I needed, so I will check the dealer tomorrow. Hard to have to suby down for too long but will see what happens.

Got the old one out, so half way there. It was routed under the water lines, and steering shaft. I was broken where it looped under the steering shaft.

Thanks for the input guys.

Dave.

Edited by DaveAP
more info

Its been awhile since I changed one (memory vague) but as usual G.D. is right.

They did change pedal styles for '84-, in fact the part #'s for the cables were different too. The big difference I saw in the pedal was there was a bushing pressed into a larger hole in the pedal. This eliminated the wear into the pedal and probably reduced wear on the pin. I used this method to repair my worn pedal. The method of attatchment on the pedal end bracket assy. was different between the 2 cables and I saw no easy way of making it work. When Im at the J/yard, and notice a significant difference in parts I dont usually pull them.

I know the Cardone and the B/A cables are trash, warranty or not, I do not care to limp a clutchless car home. When the Cardone cable failed after 3 months, Checker replaced it with a B/A which lasted about 8 months. Right now I have an ugly J/yard cable in there and so far so good.

Note: this car is only driven on weekends.

I wanted to do a follow up on my thread, as people have commented on lack of anyone doing that.

Cable is back in. Got it from subaru dealer. 24 bucks.

The write up in the repair forum was my bible. Great job whoever wrote that up. I didn't see any credits, so who ever you are, a mighty thanks.

Some things that made it easier...take the seat out.

I have a snap on tool that has a hardened steel hook on the end of it....used it alot, to pull the spring clips off, helped put that pain in the rump roast rubber tity thing back in. Push the rubber grommet back into fire wall.

Lighting is key, had both a trouble light, and head light.

Kneeling pad (old timer)

Yes the job is a pain in the rump roast. Bring your patience, don't be baby sitting, or off your meds.

Later, Dave

Edited by DaveAP

Dave, thank you for the follow up.

Would you be so kind as to post a

link to the clutch cable replacement art.

The title for your post is also very good

Titles such as your help the search feature work.

Skip, I am old school, not too very computer literate. I can go to that site using the search function, but don't know how to link to it.

peace out. dp

No worries Dave, I had searched also and

had trouble finding it.

I did find this one

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/clutch.html

It's not in our repair manual (USMB)

but it does have some good pictures.

For some reason the link needs copied and pasted

using my browser.

My bad, you are right. Not in the repair manual. That is the link that I used though. Who wrote that up?