Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well my 98 OBW is up for service, plagued with a low rough idle and a bit of a light knock due to the low idle, plus a leaking power steering pump,... I was thinking of replacing both PCV's, pulling the intake manifold and TB, cleaning it with the appropriate cleaner, i already did new plugs and wires, any more ideas?

i guess i might be mistaken on what i see then, i guess what I'm making reference to is the breathers on both valve covers (leaking oil) i did the air filter when i did the plugs, any ideas on the knock? its very light at a low idle, and there is mild clatter at 5-6000 Rpm's, but no different that a EA81 at 5000. could it be the plate on the back of the oil pump?

Plugs - are they NGK?

Wires - are they Subaru? they should be, though that wouldn't be causing your problems now, not without a CEL anyway.

Definitely replace the PCV valve.

Next step might be a valve job, they're usually due for one around 100,000 miles. Not sure if they'll make noise though, maybe someone can confirm.

Mileage? Has the timing belt ever been changed?

Next timing belt job should include all oil pump seals, retighten and lock-tite the rear backing plates and the cam seals and inspect and replace the necessary timing pulleys (should be a couple of them at this age/mileage). Water pump for good measure.

yes the plugs are NGK, wires are beldin super conductor, as far as when it comes to doing the timing belt and all that before mentioned service you describe gary, would it be easiest to pull the engine and put it on a stand? i know that on my old 84 waggon it was a prety quick task to have it out if you have a friend to help.

Next step might be a valve job, they're usually due for one around 100,000 miles. Not sure if they'll make noise though, maybe someone can confirm.

This is news to me, and probably everyone else on the board... or do you mean valve adjustment.

nipper

OK so i got it all tore apart, and this is what i found,..., Timing belt has already been replaced, heads have cometic gaskets installed, newer oil pump with tight screws, however the timing looks like it was off one tooth on the left intake cam, (all marks lined up except that one!) is it possible for the EJ25 to run like this? i have a new belt and will re-time it according to the factory service data I'm just trying to make sure I'm not crazy:banana:

nipper: called Subaru in Vancouver, got factory wires, they look so much better then the bendins. hopefully that will help a bit.

This is news to me, and probably everyone else on the board... or do you mean valve adjustment.
silly rabbit, you are smart enough to know i meant adjustment!

+1000 on wires. it's not true of all subaru's, but it is of this engine.

sorry i didn't see this earlier, but no way i'd pull the engine for a timing belt job, way overkill.