Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trouble with 83 hatch rear axle install

spray some wd-40 or PB blaster on the splines to help it slide in. Also make sure there isnt a ton of junk on the splines. Can you get it far enough on to get the nut started on it? pull through that way maybe? Ive never had a problem with my front axles but i only have 2wd so never done rears.

No, in the rear the axle comes undone from the stub that goes in the wheel hub, are you trying to install just the stub or the whole assembly? How soon does it need to be put together? If it can wait till tommorrow, I would put the stub in the freezer overnight and then before you install it tommorrow heat up the bearings with a blow dryer or heat gun or something. Or just beat it in, use a wood block between the stub and hammer though so you dont mess up the splines the axle slides on to.

-Bill

yeah for the rears on the hub end of the axle there is a roll pin that hold the axle onto the splines of the sub, just like on the diff end. Some times its a PITA to get the axle off the stub splines, PB Blaster/ heat are your freind in that case. But that way you can change out rear axles without having to even take off the wheels :banana:

-Bill

i understand that part but where dose it split apart like between what spots

Between the shiny spot and the rusty spot. I know it doesn't look it but that's where it should come apart. This is the kind of stuff I always have to deal with living up here in the rust belt!:-\ Good luck!